NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 17th, 2018, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Alternator help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchXJ89 View Post
Went to a recommended alternator shop and had the shop owner test it for me. Working perfectly fine. So Iíll check the regulator plug. The owner of the shop told me to check the next connection over from the widest blade. Says when the key is on the connector is live.

Multi meter reads, after cleaning plugs and other connections 14 then flutters down to about 13.4 then back up again. Now to see if thereís a draw anywhere while the engines off. Is there any common places to look check before I go through all the fuses?
Old March 17th, 2018, 13:16
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

13.4 is charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 17th, 2018, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

Looking at the troubleshooting, during the testing it says battery should not read below 13.5v or above 15v. Looks like a test for output at 1300 rpm.
But 13.4 is charging the battery. Iím concerned the plug might be bad, since it fluctuates however since it is still in the charging range it might be fine. At least I think the alternator is probably fine.
What does it do at different RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 17th, 2018, 14:48
NAXJA Forum User

If it drops down before I accelerate from heater or sound system it goes back up. Idling with no extras running it stays constant unlike before I cleaned all connections, where it would move up and down, Including starter and all connections at the relay. Iíll know tonight after my shift is thereís still a draw somewhere. Found Mattís video from bleepinjeep on how to find a draw. His fix is great.

https://youtu.be/q5zLxD74r20
Old March 17th, 2018, 20:43
NAXJA Forum User

Everythingís sound. Make sure to clean those connections!!!!