• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC/Heater Blower stopped working

youngbuck98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I recharged my AC last weekend and everthing worked fine for about 10 minutes. The air was cold and was blowing out just fine. Any idea as to why the blower would have stopped while the AC was runnning. Its a 98 by the way. I've checked some fuses but I'm not positive as to which one is controlling the blower motor. I also tested to see if there was voltage getting to the blower when the system was turned on. I got nothing. Could it be something in the controls, a relay or fuse somewhere?

I have read some posts that were concerning a 94 and there is something about a resistor pack and a relay. Does any one know where these are located in a 98'?

Nope. Sorry forgot to throw that in. The control for selecting heat, cool, defrost seems to work because in the cool position and defrost, the AC compressor clutch engages

does the blower not work at any speed? if it works on full high, but no other speeds, that would be a bum resistor. if you've got no fan at any speed period, lack of power to the resistor would be the culprit.

I have no fan at any speed. So that means no power to the resistor. Is that resistor in between the fan switch and blower or between the power to the switch? Maybe thats a dumb question... I dunno

if the blower motor resistor blew out you would only have fan on full blast. If you don't have a fan on full blast, then something else may be wrong.

yep, the resistor is between the switch and motor. if you've got no speeds at all, then there is an issue with power getting to or from the switch, or the blower motor is dead. time to bust out with the multimeter. you'll have to see where the power stops.

youngbuck98xj said:
I recharged my AC last weekend and everthing worked fine for about 10 minutes. The air was cold and was blowing out just fine. Any idea as to why the blower would have stopped while the AC was runnning. Its a 98 by the way. I've checked some fuses but I'm not positive as to which one is controlling the blower motor. I also tested to see if there was voltage getting to the blower when the system was turned on. I got nothing. Could it be something in the controls, a relay or fuse somewhere?

One of the "resistor wires" in your resistor pack (they look like coils) corroded through. Pull the plastic kickpanels in the pass. footwell (pain in the butt to get to), remove the electrical connector, then unscrew and remove the pack. it is located in an air duct so that the air passing over it cools the wires, if that's helpful. Anyway, resolder the broken wire, replace, and reinstall. Also check the connector and contacts while you're there...

dont those wires get hot enough to melt solder? seems like ive seen them glow in my old dodge van when out of the airstream twist them togeather like fixing an old clothes dryer element

Thank you all, I will tear into this on Saturday. There is no voltage getting to the blower so I'm thinking its either this resistor pack or maybe no power to the switch. However when I took the connector out of the backside of the heating/cooling control panel there was one wire that had a constant 12 volts, maybe it was just for illumination though. One last question: There is 4 wires in that same connector, one for each fan setting. When a certain fan setting is selected shouldn't there be some type of voltage coming out of that wire? Also do those 4 wires run to the 'resistor pack'. Thanks ahead of time.

I am having a similar problem

Nothing happens with the AC/Heater controls in any position

I checked the relay and it was good
I checked the fan and it works
There is no power going to the AC relay when the control is in the Norm or Max position
When I move the controls back and forth I can get the AC to work as well as the fan at various speeds
So I'm guessing that the control module thingy is bad

I hope so because a new AC/Heater control switch assembly is 108.00 bucks at the local dealer!!

I have been trying to get the heat going in my 92 all week and its getting really cold up here in NY.

No blower at all...
Previous owner said that last winter he only had heat on high....
I have:
First checked the fuse under the dash...
Then second I found the heater blower resister and it was rusted with melted wires going into it, so I replace all that....No change so,
And third I replaced the blower motor itself and still nothing....
Where is the relay, and how many amps is it?.....that might be my problem
Please help a new guy, Thanks

yup! the man above knows good! the heater blower resistor blew out and its available under your pass side kick panel. i had mine go out once and replaced it. however i did not check the blower motor and there was resistance on it which caused it to blow. i would suggest looking at the blower motor as well when replacing this part because any resistance to the motor (ie. rubbing the side etc...) will cause this resistor to blow. i replaced mine twice before i got a brain and replaced the old motor. now its perfect.

mine started by working on 2 speeds, then one, and then none!

you guys should get this done soon, resistor is like 25.00 at the dealer and the blower motor is like 50.00 on ebay. use the original fan and should plug right in. youll be nice and warm right fast.

here is a blower motor here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-J...010QQitemZ200164343981QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

you can take the fan out from the engine compartment pass. side behind the wiper washer reservoir. take that thing off to get to the fan.

reassemble as you took apart. maybe a 45 minute job if you are slow like me.

john

Getting the old fan cage off the motor took me almost 45 mins... I thought I was going to break it....wacking it with a hammer and screw driver
Anyways still not working...
Anyone know about the relay? where it is in a 92?

Jeepsloth said:
I am having a similar problem

Nothing happens with the AC/Heater controls in any position

I checked the relay and it was good
I checked the fan and it works
There is no power going to the AC relay when the control is in the Norm or Max position
When I move the controls back and forth I can get the AC to work as well as the fan at various speeds
So I'm guessing that the control module thingy is bad

I hope so because a new AC/Heater control switch assembly is 108.00 bucks at the local dealer!!

So what relay where?

Thats got to be my problem or its the switch itself.....

you guys should get this done soon, resistor is like 25.00 at the dealer and the blower motor is like 50.00 on ebay. use the original fan and should plug right in. youll be nice and warm right fast.

GEEZZZ!! how can you pay that much for those when you could find them in the junk yard for dirt cheap and if it doesnt work then oh well your out a couple bucks. try that before throwing a couple hundred bucks that might not fix it. i got a fan speed/heater control switch for 5 bucks at the yard, and the blower resistor was only 3 dollars at the local jeep dealer by me! 25bucks your crazy! and i got a blower motor for 33 dollars at Autozone. search around for good prices before wasting lots of money!
oh and if you start smelling something burning when you turn on your fan, replace the blower motor and relay will guarantee to fix it.

Back