• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ 4WD not engaging?

Number21

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired a 2001 XJ 4.0/AW4. It has a brand new 3.5" Rough Country lift kit installed by a questionable mechanic. It has the 231 part time transfer case.

The 4WD does not seem to be engaging. When I move the lever it slides rather smoothly and easily, as if it is not connected or something. No 4WD indicator on the dash. I am disabled and it is difficult for me to get under the jeep and look around. From what I can see looking from the side, it appears the linkage is hooked up but I can't be sure.

Is there a simple cause for something like this or could it be a more severe problem? Does adding the lift kit change anything about the shift linkage for the t-case?

FWIW it needs an alignment, but I don't think that is related.

i dont think there is any relation to the lift kit unless a drop kit was installed under the transmission,

there should be some noticeable resistance and a firm clunk when moving transfer case from 2wd to 4wd my guess would be if you dont feel any resistance to the 4wd lever that your linkage may be the culprit, but i would also check transmission and engine mounts, they could also be a contributing factor.

Things might have changed but on the '90, movement of the lever also engages a vacuum circuit. This circuit has two connections. The first travels through the dash to a small switch on the passengers side of the engine bay (under the hinge area IIRC). This switch turns the 4WD light on. From there it travels down to the front axle where it ties into a small solenoid on the passengers side (facing the rear) that engages the gears on the front axle. If any of these hoses are missing/open or crimped, the 4WD will not engage.

HTH
Todd

Things might have changed but on the '90, movement of the lever also engages a vacuum circuit. This circuit has two connections. The first travels through the dash to a small switch on the passengers side of the engine bay (under the hinge area IIRC). This switch turns the 4WD light on. From there it travels down to the front axle where it ties into a small solenoid on the passengers side (facing the rear) that engages the gears on the front axle. If any of these hoses are missing/open or crimped, the 4WD will not engage.HTHTodd

No such vacumm parts on a 2001.

The XJ Cherokee transfer case shifter is poor design and is overcomplicated. Failure of the shifter mechanism bushings is common, and if a previous owner has installed a transfer case drop the shifter may be faulty, misaligned, or need adjustment. You should feel some moderate resistance in the shift mechanism and you have to wiggle the shift lever very slightly side to side thru the shafting gates of the mechanism.

There are aftermarket mechanism that update and simplify the stock shifting mechanism, and there are cable shifters that totally replace it. Support our forum sponsors, get you shifter fix here >> http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/

The Vacuum disconnect and vacuum indicator lamp switches were eliminated in 1992. XJ Cherokee without the vacuum disconnect have mechanical switches to illuminate the dashboard lights for 4x4 and 4x4 Lo. Having no lights on the dashboard can be a burnt out bulb, wiring issues, or a faulty mode indicator switch on the transfer case.

What specifically should I be looking for if it has a t-case drop? Can I manually put it in 4WD from underneath if there is something wrong with the linkage, just to verify that everything else works?

The aftermarket linkage seems like a good deal. I have another stock '98 XJ I can compare to, and I know how much of a fight the shifter can be. It's just really hard for me to get under there and look at both of them, I'll have to try and bribe a buddy to use his lift for a little while.

If there is a transfer case drop it usually is some kind of spacers between the crossmember and the unibody frame rail.

You can disconnect the floor shifter and shift the transfer case from the mode lever with a big screwdriver. As I recall, 2wd is Forward/Up on the range lever.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Tim Mn suggestions. In my view, the linkage is a "Rube Goldberg" design. I went with the "Boostwerks" linkage upgrade on both my 88 & 00 XJs and couldn't be happier!

Best regards,

CJR

Not a matter of if it breaks, but when. Definitely a worthy upgrade.

Although not sure linkage is 100% of the problem...

Find someone to look it over for you. Put Jeep trans in N. Have them move the lever on tcase. All the way forward is 4L, all the way back is 2H. If the case doesn't engage, may have to drop the case and split it open to see what's up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

Back