• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires....What gear ratio?

Resurrecting incredibly old Post. I can't believe this hasn't been touched in over 15 years. But I am trying to re gear my 2001 Jeep Cherokee I'm four and a half inch lift and 33 inch tires with a 3.55 gear ratio. I wanted to be 100% sure but I was thinking about upgrading the rear end gear ratio 4.56. after the front bumper rear bumper skid plates spare tire frame stiffeners I'm running really high RPMs and only getting about a hundred eighty miles to the tank.

With 33s and 3.55 it would cause you to be running a low RPM. Re-gearing to a 4.56 with 33s will raise the engine RPM higher than you currently run.

With 33s and 3.55 it would cause you to be running a low RPM. Re-gearing to a 4.56 with 33s will raise the engine RPM higher than you currently run.

4.56s, with 33"s, will run at at about the same RPM as a 3.55 with the stock tires.
4.88s are also a consideration, 4.0s do not mind cruising in the high 2000 RPM range.

Resurrecting incredibly old Post. I can't believe this hasn't been touched in over 15 years. But I am trying to re gear my 2001 Jeep Cherokee I'm four and a half inch lift and 33 inch tires with a 3.55 gear ratio. I wanted to be 100% sure but I was thinking about upgrading the rear end gear ratio 4.56. after the front bumper rear bumper skid plates spare tire frame stiffeners I'm running really high RPMs and only getting about a hundred eighty miles to the tank.

I hope your not thinking of just doing the "rear end". Unless you have a 2 wheel drive. I posted this a while ago and it might just be what your looking for.

I am using the JK wheels with the standard stock, more street orientated tires on a 3.5" OME lift, 1.25 spacers/adapters (4.5 to 5.5) with longer rear lug bolts and an AW4. The 32" wheel works best with a re-gear. I'd say 4:10's for a rig that does a lot of freeway and 4:56's if your more of a side street/off road use. I'm using 4:56's and the RPM's are 2750 at 70 mph. At full lock you can see a slight rub on the lower control arm (JKS adjustable) but not really feel it. As far as fuel mileage goes, pretty much anything you do to an XJ will net you worse fuel mileage and the JK wheels are no exception. Another reason for going JK wheels is cost. I can get JK wheels (set of 4 or 5) with new or relatively new tires for less than $500. any day of the week on Craigslist. Oh, and they look good on an XJ.

All right meeting of the minds gentleman I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee automatic 4 1/2 inch lift with 33x10.5 all terrains with aftermarket front bumper rear bumper spare tire skid plates and frame stiffeners. My Jeep is my daily driver I really don't go very far other than 30 miles from town.but occasionally I take long trips up to Maine on the highway. To the best of my knowledge I have 3.55 gearing ratio in the rear end my vehicle is getting pretty damn heavy and I'm starting to get really high RPMs going anywhere over 55 clocking around 3000 I got a little bit of research and I figured out I'm pretty sure I need a 4.56 gear ratio. Let me know your thoughts I'm open to anything

All right meeting of the minds gentleman I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee automatic 4 1/2 inch lift with 33x10.5 all terrains with aftermarket front bumper rear bumper spare tire skid plates and frame stiffeners. My Jeep is my daily driver I really don't go very far other than 30 miles from town.but occasionally I take long trips up to Maine on the highway. To the best of my knowledge I have 3.55 gearing ratio in the rear end my vehicle is getting pretty damn heavy and I'm starting to get really high RPMs going anywhere over 55 clocking around 3000 I got a little bit of research and I figured out I'm pretty sure I need a 4.56 gear ratio. Let me know your thoughts I'm open to anything

First you need to do a speedometer correction, there's no way your doing those rpm's at that speed!

If you do mostly highway driving then I would suggest 4.10's for 33's, unless you live in a higher altitude climate. If it's the daily driver/weekend warrior then I would go 4.56 for the offroad side. It really depends on what you want to do exactly. 4.56 gears would probably be your best option overall though.

Also on a side note, I'm assuming your jeep is 4x4? Because if you change the rear gears you have to change the front also. Otherwise bad things will happen.

If you do mostly highway driving then I would suggest 4.10's for 33's, unless you live in a higher altitude climate. If it's the daily driver/weekend warrior then I would go 4.56 for the offroad side. It really depends on what you want to do exactly. 4.56 gears would probably be your best option overall though.

Also on a side note, I'm assuming your jeep is 4x4? Because if you change the rear gears you have to change the front also. Otherwise bad things will happen.

I am with LAZYXJ on this. My XJ is eared 4.10 with the intention of not running any thing bigger than 31" tires. It ran excellent like that both in the city and on the highway with good mileage.

Enter some JK takeoffs and watch the 4.0 struggle to keep the MPH with cruise control set to 70 MPH up any semblance of a hill. I have children living in Tennessee and those hills do not hesitate to let me know that the 4.0 need help. Those JK takeoffs are said to be just over 32". Now, I have to decide whether to re-gear or go to the smaller 245 X 75 X 17 when I need tires instead of the 255 X 75 X 17 that are on there now.

Running around North East Florida cruising at 65 or 70 MPH the XJ returns 230 to 250 miles on 15 gallons of fuel. At 3,000+ RPM and I could kiss my good mileage goodbye. At 70 the RPM is just below 2400 RPM.

Last edited:

ok, you say 33's w/3.55 gearing w/AW4 (auto) = 3k rpm at 55mph?

Something wrong here... if the above is correct you need the transmission looked at... it's slip'n

Enter some JK takeoffs and watch the 4.0 struggle to keep the MPH with cruise control set to 70 MPH up any semblance of a hill. I have children living in Tennessee and those hills do not hesitate to let me know that the 4.0 need help.

Since it appears you make this drive often, have you considered a second set of tires and rims, something better suited for long distance driving?
You might be happier on some smaller diameter, quiet street tires, instead of wearing out expensive off-road rubber on long drives. With a floor jack and impact wrench, tires can be changed in 20 minutes.

Since it appears you make this drive often, have you considered a second set of tires and rims, something better suited for long distance driving?
You might be happier on some smaller diameter, quiet street tires, instead of wearing out expensive off-road rubber on long drives. With a floor jack and impact wrench, tires can be changed in 20 minutes.

Actually, I am struggling with this decision right now. The JK Rubicon front have 3.73 gears. At present I am on 4.10.

Question, Should I regear both axles or just one and get smaller tires? :doh:

I like the lower RPM but with enough power to get over most hills on the highway without gear hunting.

ok, you say 33's w/3.55 gearing w/AW4 (auto) = 3k rpm at 55mph?

Something wrong here... if the above is correct you need the transmission looked at... it's slip'n

Yes, these stats are whacky.

I've run 4:88 gears with 295/75/16's (33.4") for the past 4 years, with a corrected speedometer, and at 70mph I'm turning 2,850 rpms.

I agree with this. I'm on 4.10 gears and 32's. I'm around 2000 rpm. A bit sluggish too. I was fine on 31's. I am thinking 4.30 gears, as I run highways a lot.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

The 4.0 will be perfectly happy spinning along at 2500-3000 rpms all day long. 4:56 gears would be a better choice for 32's with an auto trans.

Been there, done that for about 5yrs.

I agree with this. I'm on 4.10 gears and 32's. I'm around 2000 rpm. A bit sluggish too. I was fine on 31's. I am thinking 4.30 gears, as I run highways a lot.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

The only person I know of who suggest 4.30 gears which is what I have in mind. I know they are available for the early XJ D44 I have in the back but I do not know if they are available for the JK Rubicon D44 I am building for the front.

The 4.30 gears are on the top of my wish list.

The only person I know of who suggest 4.30 gears which is what I have in mind. I know they are available for the early XJ D44 I have in the back but I do not know if they are available for the JK Rubicon D44 I am building for the front.

The 4.30 gears are on the top of my wish list.

I'm in the looong process of swapping parts between 3 XJs. So, this might not happen for a while. I have a stroker motor in the build process too. So, I want to see how that handles with 4.10 gears first. Also, I might need to replace one of the speed sensors on the AW4. I had it rebuilt a few years ago. Then I might go to 4.30. I have a Ford 8.8 for the rear end. So, I will need to get aftermarket gears. I have a Low Pinion D30. So, I might get a HP D30 at that point. For what I am doing, the LP would be fine.

Back