• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing more advice...

mmmMUD96xj

NAXJA Forum User
question of the day folks!!! without changing my Crusty's 4" lift, can i add this **1-3/4" Coil spring spacers with 1" greaseable shackles for your 1984-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee** without changing my lift? and maybe get 32's or 33's to fit in there??? remember i'm a newb, so be nice if i'm asking a crazy question! and if i CAN do this... who's gonna join me for the install?? - plenty of beer here!!! :cheers:

maybe i should have titled this one "FREE BEER!!!!"

You'll also increase your angle on the front drivelive. Added 1 3/4" spacers to the coil springs. It's a can be a rough ride.

It would be cheaper to buy a sawzall. Trim the hell out of the fenders and 33's will fit on a 4 inch lift. I have 35's on a 4.5 inch lift with a 1 inch spacer totaling 5.5 inches. Backspacing on the wheels will make or break your fitment.

I have the pro comp 3 coils in the front and sky jacker 4 in springs in the back I installed tera flex's 1 3/4 spacer and 1 in shackle in the rear. The prodject was very easy and took probably 3 3 1/2 hours I however could not fit the stock 1/2 in. spacer back in the front. Mostly due to the lack of a good spring compressor. But I did notice that at full flex my lower control arm may bind up on its mount on the drop side.

I had a mild frontend chatter when on ruff or bumpy roads. So when I added the 1 3/4" spacer to the front it made it worst. For what I've read on here I would possibly also think about getting drop brackets for the control arms. Cheaper than going with a longarm setup. For tire size I run 285/75/16= 32/33's depending on tire company. I hope this helps your situation some.

mmmMUD96xj said:
backspacing on the wheels...?? what is that?

In simple terms, at least the way I think about is the distance between the place where the wheel touches the axle, take a straight edge from the center to the rim, then measure out to the lip of the rim. Most folks run anywhere from 3.75" to 4.5" on a 15 or 16 inch rim with 31's to 33's. Personally, I am running 15x8 steel wheels with 4.25" backspacing with 33" M/TR's. I get a little rubbing on the lower control arm, driver side at full lock to the left, BUT, I need to fine tune and center my axle a little more.

Here are a couple of definitions:

wheel backspacing is the distance between the inboard edge of the wheel and the mounting surface of the wheel that bolts against the axle hub. It is measured by placing the wheel face down on a flat surface; lay a straight edge across the inboard edge of the wheel, and measure from the wheel mounting surface to the straight edge with a ruler

Good overall wheel info: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Good Jeep wheel info: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/Wheel.html

Back