• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel BS and Off-set for 285/75/r16 Tires

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Fellas,

Need your help yet again.

Just ordered some new Cooper Discoveries 285/75/r16 at a killer price
(FYI there is a coupon code for $200 off $1000 on ebay)

I am trying to find new 16x8 Rims to mount with the tires and am trying to find the best backspacing and off-set.

I was hoping maybe some of you can post some pictures of your tire/wheel set-ups and include the backspacing and off-set you have.

I am trying to find a good deal on some wheels and came across Pro-Comp (#1069-6865) and they have 4 inch BS with -11 offset. Not sure how these would look but it be a great help if you guys can share with me what you have along with some photos.

I was also wondering if anybody painted the wheel wells after you cur and trim the fenders for a cleaner look and if you did how did you do it?

Finally have everything for my build! Took almost a month to get the 02 sensor for the upstream bc I had to specially order it.

Trying to just do this thing right and make you guys proud:eeks1:

-Fletch

4"backspace would be about perfect.

10.5" wide with 3.75" clears everything by a mile, so I was planning on going with 4.5" BS with my 32x11.5x15 tires.

I ran 4.5" backspace with a 4.5" lift with 33x12.5 15 BFGs which are smallish tires and it rubbed on the lower control arms.

I have 305x70 16 Cooper STT Pros now with 4" of backspace and no rubbing.

I've run 285 and 295 tires on 16x8 wheels with 4" BS on my last two XJ's, 20 years of success with this combo. I'm currently running a TnT Y-Link front suspension

285/75/16 with 4" total BS and stock flares -5.5" lift
IMG_4856.jpg

285/75/16 with 4" total BS and Bushwacker Flat Flares
IMG_1302_zps996760da.jpg

IMG_4499_zpse30661ab.jpg

295/75/16 with 4" total BS with 5.5" lift
IMG-4706.jpg

322108A7-FAFD-4C32-898D-94A12F5259A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Which Discover did you actually buy? It can be a minor difference in the rim selection.

I ran 4.5" backspace with a 4.5" lift with 33x12.5 15 BFGs which are smallish tires and it rubbed on the lower control arms.

I have 305x70 16 Cooper STT Pros now with 4" of backspace and no rubbing.

Yeah, control arm choice and tire width are going to be the main factors in the max possible backspace. A 305 is ~3/4" wider than a 285, so dividing that by 2 is ~0.4". Would seem to suggest that a 285 with 4.5" BS should work or just barely rub. For sure 285 on 4.25" BS will clear if a 305 on 4" BS clears.

I'm not suggesting that 4" BS is a bad idea. Rather I'm just giving the OP a fuller idea of the range of BS that is likely to be possible.

3.5back spacing rubs rubs control arms on 15x8 with 33x12.5s not sure how a 4.5" wouldnt even with narrower 285 tire or even possibly a 10.5" wide tire.
Though i guess it doesnt really hurt to use control arms as steering bump stops.

Mine do rub and im okay with that. 15x8 3.5bs 35x12.5 also with 33x12.5

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I've run 285 and 295 tires on 16x8 wheels with 4" BS on my last two XJ's, 20 years of success with this combo. I'm currently running a TnT Y-Link front suspension

285/75/16 with 4" total BS and stock flares

285/75/16 with 4" total BS and Bushwacker Flat Flares

IMG_1302_zps996760da.jpg
Thank you Sir! That is a sexy jeep. How much lift do you have with the 285's? That was exactly what I was looking for as it looks like we have the same idea in regards to the 285's and BW's. Same color Jeep too.

I lifted the jeep 3" and not sure if I cam going to lift it another inch. I'm going to wait until I mouth the tires to determine.

Doing the breaks, rotors, ball joints, u-joints, bearing seals, wheel bearing hubs within the next week or so all in one shot before I mount the new tires. Will take pictures and do a writeup once everything is done.

I have actually made great process within the last 2 years with the jeep and really need to make a build thread for the forum so I can give back what I have learned here. I've practically have rebuilt the whole jeep.

Do you guys think I will be OK with 285/16 tires on 3inch lift without having to trim?
I need to get the tires on do the breaks and get the tires on ASAP but dont' want to cut and trim until I get the BW flares.

Thanks Guys!

-Fletch

Thank you Sir! That is a sexy jeep. How much lift do you have with the 285's? That was exactly what I was looking for as it looks like we have the same idea in regards to the 285's and BW's. Same color Jeep too.

I lifted the jeep 3" and not sure if I cam going to lift it another inch. I'm going to wait until I mouth the tires to determine.

Doing the breaks, rotors, ball joints, u-joints, bearing seals, wheel bearing hubs within the next week or so all in one shot before I mount the new tires. Will take pictures and do a writeup once everything is done.

I have actually made great process within the last 2 years with the jeep and really need to make a build thread for the forum so I can give back what I have learned here. I've practically have rebuilt the whole jeep.

Do you guys think I will be OK with 285/16 tires on 3inch lift without having to trim?
I need to get the tires on do the breaks and get the tires on ASAP but dont' want to cut and trim until I get the BW flares.

Thanks Guys!

-Fletch
Thanks Fletch. My rig is sitting at just over 5.5" of lift. Depending on the tire mfgr., a 285/75/16 is going to measure out in the 32.5" tall and 11"-ish wide range, so trying to run these on a 3" lift with no trim is going to be a stretch.

I am running 305/70 16 STT Pro with 4" backspace and 4.5" lift. Had them for a few years now.

Thanks Fletch. My rig is sitting at just over 5.5" of lift. Depending on the tire mfgr., a 285/75/16 is going to measure out in the 32.5" tall and 11"-ish wide range, so trying to run these on a 3" lift with no trim is going to be a stretch.
Well, I have a hell of a job a head of me. I’m going to start tomorrow and do the entire break system with all new components, axel u joints, ball joints, and also slap on these control drop brackets.

While I have everything off going to remove some rust and lint the difs

Question: the 285 tires I have are 11.5 inches wide but was thinking I’d like them to pop out a bit more. What size wheel spacers you’d recommend? I don’t want it to be too much piping out but want it to be a bit more aggressive looking

Get all your brake and axle work done, mount the tires and see where your at!

Back