• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering shaft

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 and i'm trying to replace the steering shaft. I have ordered 2 different ones and fully extended they are only 20.5 inches and the listing claims 23.9 inches. is there some trick to this to get it to extend more. it slides out and feels like its hitting a metal stop.

I used Omix-Ada 18016.05 in my 1988 with no issues. I remember reading reviews on Amazon and people were using XJ shafts on square body Chevys and mentioned having to heat it to extend or compress it. Of course they weren't using hem for their intended application.

Camp Out West US on YouTube

I looked at the reviews again, There are several mentioning this plastic piece and warming so heating it to adjust for a Chevy.

Works good on my 1985 chevy k20. Had to modify a little but fits perfect now. You have to warm up the shaft where the plastic is inside to adjust it and open up the coupling on the colom side of the shaft and grove the colom shaft so the bolt can go through.

Back