• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee Chief 2 door Survivor like new refresh with NOS parts

According to my parts guide, '87-'89 had the 1st spare carrier in your pics.

dG0ngVr.jpg

The '90-'96 had the 3rd.

Here's the rear bumper on my '88. Don't think you'll need them with the spare carrier on.

2lf9rvVl.jpg

I always get a kick out of all your NOS parts.
Is the brass colored piece part of the set up?
Cause I have never seen that piece before.
If you want to get creative the rear tow hook can be modified so you can run one on the passenger side.
Had my friend cut a second one I sourced, sadly used not NOS (LOL), with his plasma cutter and reweld it.
Do you have eyelets that go with that?
I was able to source some new but they were aftermarket.

Got gas skid and correct early style receiver hitch mounted up without a scratch :)

Don't think can mount the rear tow hook bracket with receiver hitch :(

Ralph77, the brass colored (chromate) bracket is a reinforcing backup plate for the early style hitch.

Next up is removing the rear cargo interior to install the 7 pin trailer wiring harness. Rear plastics don't look to of ever been removed, so pretty nervous about taking apart.

In college circa 1988 a friend of mine had a new 2 door Blue XJ Chief. It had factory spare tire carrier and was coolest new vehicle of that time era.

So I got this, rust free one from desert, my favorite early style with X brace:

Still on fence about installing, but I've about decided that really "toughens" up the look of XJ :scottm:

The 87 XJ rear bumper has holes with plastic plugs that was meant for the light duty trailer hitch.

Found a NOS OEM rear bumper. Will have weld on spare tire carrier reinforcement bracket and cut rectangle hole for tire carrier latch.

Another step closer

E55EF867-4E40-4DEB-A269-4625AC90ADD4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I want to really praise you with keeping a 35yr old XJ up to the best condition, that's a job worth everything!

Last needed part of OEM tire carrier obtained.
Inner support / brace.

XJ donated sheet metal for drill template.

Going be awhile before have time to cut & weld on bumper, take bushings apart, powdercoat & drill holes.

But can't wait for the new look.

Honestly floored by this progress. I've been doing my best with my 98 but have nothing like your luck/skill finding NOS parts. Can you share any tips on how to track these down?

Thanks for viewing this build. Trying to keep this survivor a "Day 2" build like was done at dealership when new.

Most of my NOS goodies come from my contacts that bought out Jeep dealership inventories, but this Type ! XJ brush guard popped up on FB.
I've been looking for nice used one, for couple years, never thought I'd find a NOS one :)

I've got NOS Jeep special equipment XJ Ramsey hidden winch & mounting kit that will be going on Chief.

Haven't done anything to XJ Chief other than drive around block couple different times. Still need finish up rear tire carrier install, receiver hitch wiring.

Have remove cargo panels so thinking would add the trunk that popped up.

Decisions :doh:

I haven't seen one of those before!

Back