• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine quits at random times?

kevermt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 w/ 4.0. The rig was owned by a friend who complained of it quiting randomly. I have acquired it and have just felt the first symptoms. His mechanic could not diagnose since it happens every 5-6 drives. It sometime starts right back up sometimes it takes a few turns. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Crank position sensor 99% of the time. Search for details.

could be as simple as loose battery terminals or a bad ground in the harness under the hood. look very close at your terminals and cables and the big ground on the firewall to the head.

I am having a similar problem with my 87 and I changed the CPS and everything was good for about a week then it went back to the same. Someone told me to check the Fuel rail pressure, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I am going to do that this weekend and see. If you figure something out let me know.

i had the same problem of it just randomly shutting off while driving, didnt even have to hit a bump for it to quit. i changed my fuel pump cause it had 140 on the ticker. still had the problem. went to the local pick a part yard and yanked a CPS out of one that looked like it was running at the time it was totalled and had to be brought to the yard. Guess what it worked! I would personally try a CPS from the yard, very cheap and i would guess be 99% the problem.

Other posibilitiesd are the ignition switch, battery, loose sensor connections, bad plug wires.....

Back