• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Screw Thingie

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Was trying to fix a power window "grinding" noise...discovered that a long, thin, screw-thingy that extends from a shaft was binding inside the door frame. I fixed using electrical loop. some lubricant, and a clamp. Problem was the front passenger door.

I'm wondering what's supposed to guide the long screw thingie in the first place? it just extended into the door cavity, then bound up. My fix might be temporary...

Anyone else had the same problem?

There is a rubber hose that extends the spiral cable guide, down into the bottom of the door. I´ve used (I think it was 3/8" or maybe 5/16" fuel line), to make new ones. The old rubber cable guide extensions were either gone (?) rotted or hard as a rock. I found a plastic fuel line that actually works better. I also made the rubber/plastic hose a little longer most of mine were an inch short or so (the very end of the cable was rotted from rust). I put some grease into the rubber hose and packed some lithium grease into the slot in the metal cable guide, as well as I could. In three differnt XJ`s, with a total of 12 cable guide extensions I found one, with a cap in the end from the factory.
I´ve looked at the spiral cable before, out of the assembly, rust attacks it fairly aggressively, especially down near the bottom, which can´t be a good thing.
There is a hole drilled in the inside door brace, that fits one of those snap in plastic holders to kind of guide the rubber hose a bit. The old rubber hose gets really stiff, the newer replacement, is a bit more flexible and helps the spiral cable move a little easier. A very soft rubber hose, will probably cause more problems, middle rigid, works best.
In like 18 years, I´ve only replaced one window motor assembly, but I do lube and service those things almost every year. Keeping some kind of dry lubricant in the window runners also helps some.

I found a can of spray teflon, for closet runners and such that helps. Have had the best luck with a wet spray, silicon rubber lubricant (Shell) that dries quick and seems to last. Even tried graphit on the wifes 87 (once), worked well, though she didn´t appreciate the black smears on her clothes.
Used grease once, never again, it collected so much trash, the windows stopped working in a month, was hell to clean back out.
Check the rubber wipers, they do get stiff and sometimes the holding clips jump out of the hole (on the outside). The bottom of the window runners sometimes come loose and pop out of the channel, makes things kind of bind up.
On my old fun truck, I removed the inside, drivers side, window wiper, blew cold air through the hole, but was amazed at how much faster and easier the windows worked.

Last edited:
Back