NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 25th, 2020, 18:08
NAXJA Member

Re: Nightmare midarm 3 link rehabilitation

I can agree with that... just look at the long arm kits with upper ca mounts like mine! Can’t believe there even exists a vertical mount in a kit. As far as geometry- the majority of kits out there are radius arms, and well math don lie!

I installed Claytons on my ZJ, in the radius arm flavor. I don’t think he even offered a true 4 link at that time.... Truth be told, it rode MUCH better then the rubicon express short arms, and performance off road was night and day improved greatly. The binding issues were felt (particularly up hill rock climbs) but I didn’t realize what was happening until I watched a rig with a triangulated 3 link get through an obstacle followed by having my bro do it in mine. Not end of the world, but definitely wasn’t as free/ smooth and less stable. My junk made it look more intense then it actually was.

I also ate the axle side control arm bushings MUCH faster then I anticipated

I’m riding 35s for the foreseeable future. When I decide to go bigger and build some 1tons, the suspension will have to be looked into again anyway.

Definitely interested in your interpretation on what you calculate. Nothing’s getting burnt in until I get a mount anyhow

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; March 25th, 2020 at 19:01.
Old March 25th, 2020, 20:25
NAXJA Forum User

Nightmare midarm 3 link rehabilitation

I'm not going to build off a calculator. If I did I'd end up removing most everything around the suspension to do it and get frustrated because there's just not room to make a perfectly calculated system.
I've researched and read so much seen rigs built bought they're all different some do amazing some are very lack luster.

My rig would honestly probably be greatly helped with control arm drop brackets at the frame. I'd end up with nearly flat links and save tons of money and time.
But what fun would that be.

I definitely like the mid arm idea.

Also thought radius would be quick and easy could be changed to 3 or 4 link later.

I feel a flat track bar may also improve things maybe not but I think it might so my next move is steering and track.
Debating doing some welding on the knuckle nd running both tie rod and drag link over the knuckle double shear the passenger side.

Yes the vertical upper link to me just isnt right kinda like a tie rod on the frame end of the track bar. Wtf were they thinking but it's worked on jeeps and pickups for along time. So maybe a vertical suspension joint isn't as horrible as I think.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old March 25th, 2020, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

Rod ends of any type don't typically have a "orientation", they only have "travel/angle" specifiations.
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:31
NAXJA Forum User

Just measured link separation on factory dana 30 and its 7.5ish to 8.

Eyeing it looks like a mid arm would be doable with maybe parallel links matching axle end. Or close.

Old March 26th, 2020, 15:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Rod ends of any type don't typically have a "orientation", they only have "travel/angle" specifiations.
This seems like a random thing to say? Clearly we are talking about the mount dictating the orientation. If i change the vertical mount to horizontal (as this whole thread has been about) of course I can run the same heim if I so desired.
Old March 26th, 2020, 15:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
Just measured link separation on factory dana 30 and its 7.5ish to 8.

Eyeing it looks like a mid arm would be doable with maybe parallel links matching axle end. Or close.

My thoughts as well. Where the current mount for the uca is actually good in this regard. The uca remains very flat at ride height. Id prefer to extend it past the lower ca though, as that seems to be the best.

If you see the stock uca mount however, extending this on the same plane is impossible as you line up in the unibody. . the stock upper isnt level though so bringing it down is good. the angle of the diff mount might make some misalignment of one of the joints with the mount inboard of the ubibody? Not sure that this is a big deal though

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; March 26th, 2020 at 17:48.
Old March 26th, 2020, 16:19
NAXJA Forum User

I dont think some misalignment is a big deal.
What joints are on the axle end?

Old March 26th, 2020, 17:50
NAXJA Member

I have replaced the heim with an Iron rock offroad flex joint into the differntial ear. Thinking JJ to match the lower arms into the ody side of the upper ca
Old March 26th, 2020, 19:55
NAXJA Forum User

You have picture of that?

Old March 26th, 2020, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

If this is the one..... https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...cartridge.html
Old March 26th, 2020, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

That is badass.thank you for sharing

Old March 26th, 2020, 20:54
NAXJA Member

Yep that’s the exact one.
I ordered first the ballistic joint, but it isn’t press in, and would be better served on the passenger side- which I don’t even have a bracket there. The ballistics joint boasts a few degrees more misalignment- but not sure I’d ever notice a whopping 3*. Both offer more (about ~25%) then the JJ and both are cheaper is why I didn’t go with the Currie/ RockJock offering

Flex joint $44.99 1/2” bolt press in 30* misalignment
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...cartridge.html

Ballistic joint $39.99 1/2” bolt won’t press in unfortunately with 33* misalignment
https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...allistic-joint

JJ greasable bolt at 66$ for 1/2 in bolt. Press in 22* misalignment
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9112M2

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; March 26th, 2020 at 21:41.