• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My '85 needs a Double Cardan driveshaft conversion, what do I need to get?

jstandle

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Found out today that my GKN style CV driveshaft clicks like a mofo when in four wheel drive after I installed my lift. I've been informed that any lift with this style of driveshaft can't be done because they just can't handle that much angle.

All that being said, what am I going to need to change it to a double cardan driveshaft? Will any 87+ with the 4.0 work? And will the yolk on the transfer case work on mine as well?

I'm sure someone has done this before, I didn't find any info searching though.

I've located an 89 Cherokee with the double cardan drive shaft but it is a 5 speed, would that make a difference?

Thanks!
Jordan

You're in luck,as I have the part you need to do the conversion. Another guy is supposed to e-mail me about it,but I haven't heard from him yet. I've got the correct yoke (assuming you have the NP 207 T-case), but you will need to find a double cardon driveshaft from a 4 cylinder model XJ to complete the swap. E-mail me if you'd like more info :)

[email protected]

Georgia Mike said:
You're in luck,as I have the part you need to do the conversion. Another guy is supposed to e-mail me about it,but I haven't heard from him yet. I've got the correct yoke (assuming you have the NP 207 T-case), but you will need to find a double cardon driveshaft from a 4 cylinder model XJ to complete the swap. E-mail me if you'd like more info :)

[email protected]

Cool! I just found out this info on the Jeeps Unlimited site. Sounds like I can get a yolk from a newer XJ or TJ, remove the oil slinger and put it on mine with out any hassle (I believe I have the 207, infact I don't think it would be anything else with that GNK CV on it). Then just find a drive shaft with the double cardan on it and have a machine shop cut it to the length I need it. I have found where I can get a drive shaft from an 89 with a 5 speed, that should work even though I might need it shortened.

I'll e-mail you about the yolk.

Thanks!
Jordan

Yeah, looks like you do. That ok, I think I've found the info I need to get the swap done. If it doesn't work, I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks,
Jordan

make sure on your transfercase model. My 85 has a 221 case with the CV driveshaft.

I think 221 is the number, the same as a FSJ with Selec-trak

No it would be either 228 or 229!

yep, 229, cant ever remember the number on that darn thing. It just sits in the yard. I suppose I should go start it up, has been sitting since october.

Is that going to make a difference on my swap? Anyone know if the 87+ yolk will fit on all of those? Thats my biggest concern, after that finding a shaft that will work is no problem.

Jordan

Cool, I'll drop them an e-mail to see what the cost is for something like that. If it's not much more I might go that route. They're probably expensive though.

Jordan

Someone here did it last year,I cant recall who?I beleive it was only like 35-45$

jstandle said:
Is that going to make a difference on my swap? Anyone know if the 87+ yolk will fit on all of those? Thats my biggest concern, after that finding a shaft that will work is no problem.

Jordan
Here' the problem with this, I can't figure out if all the '85 229 front output shafts were splined the same. I've talked to people who have used the slip-on yoke from a newer XJ with a 231 that has worked. All 231 front output shafts had 27 splines. My 229 has 32, in a Limited XJ Wagoneer? So the XJ yoke will not work for me. Hmmmm, I'll keep diggin'!

OK, I'm back. Problem solved! Ha! Anyone with the GKN front shaft needs to change it out, hands down. Depending on your transfer case, you front output spline count will vary. Assuming your XJ is an '84,'85,'86 the replacement front "double cardan" CV driveshaft needs to come from a newer XJ. Most newer XJs will have the 231, which are all 27 spline front output shafts. My NP229 has a 32 spline front output which made it next to impossible to find a yoke/front shaft from a newer XJ that fit. I'm not positive about this, but I was told the 228/229, 242, 247, 249 all used 32 spline front output shafts. If you can find a donor XJ with a 242 and a double cardan front ds than your set, if the ds length is correct! The junk yards I visited weren't to enthusiastic about helping me for this specific set-up. I ended up giving up on the entire junk yard idea. The yoke is the problem, not the ds.
Call Tom Woods, buy a new yoke from him. He has everything, something will work - $70. Its worth it. This sucker will slide right on, then you just have to find a front shaft that will work. Get an accurate measurement, the junk yard can find you a 1310 u joint double cardan CV shaft that'll fit, no problem.
Prob. $30-$40 - may need rebuilt, no biggie. Mine did. There you go, GKN swap. Have $100 invested. Mine was harder b/c the 32 splines. Yours may not be that hard to track down a used yoke that'll work. I couldn't.

I'm actually in the process of doing this swap myself. Well, trying to find time I guess is more accurate...Anyways, I'm working with the yoke and front shaft from a 231 out of an '87, to be swapped into my '86 with the crappy c/v shaft and a 207. I am doing a mini write-up on the swap with pics. Thanks again to Hodgepodge for the parts!

barillms said:
OK, I'm back. Problem solved! Ha! Anyone with the GKN front shaft needs to change it out, hands down. Depending on your transfer case, you front output spline count will vary. Assuming your XJ is an '84,'85,'86 the replacement front "double cardan" CV driveshaft needs to come from a newer XJ. Most newer XJs will have the 231, which are all 27 spline front output shafts. My NP229 has a 32 spline front output which made it next to impossible to find a yoke/front shaft from a newer XJ that fit. I'm not positive about this, but I was told the 228/229, 242, 247, 249 all used 32 spline front output shafts. If you can find a donor XJ with a 242 and a double cardan front ds than your set, if the ds length is correct! The junk yards I visited weren't to enthusiastic about helping me for this specific set-up. I ended up giving up on the entire junk yard idea. The yoke is the problem, not the ds.
Call Tom Woods, buy a new yoke from him. He has everything, something will work - $70. Its worth it. This sucker will slide right on, then you just have to find a front shaft that will work. Get an accurate measurement, the junk yard can find you a 1310 u joint double cardan CV shaft that'll fit, no problem.
Prob. $30-$40 - may need rebuilt, no biggie. Mine did. There you go, GKN swap. Have $100 invested. Mine was harder b/c the 32 splines. Yours may not be that hard to track down a used yoke that'll work. I couldn't.

I just wanted to say thanks for the research on this. I have the same problem and now know how to deal with it. Thanks alot Barillms for taking the time for this.

Kim.

Back