NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:40
NAXJA Forum User

LED Stop Turn Tail / Wiring Question - Searched = dead ends

I could PM, but some of these guys haven't been on for a while. searching didn't reveal any good solid answers.

SO... Someone help me get this straight, it seems I will need two trailer wiring harnesses. One for each side? In the case I am using Stop Turn Tail LEDs. Is this correct, AND DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THESE WIRED (yes a pic of the wires connected would be wonderful) I'm reading Draw-tite and Resse are the only good ones. However someone said about a stock trailer hookup & you dont need to buy anything? Help me out here.

ANY LINKS, PICS or PART NUMBERS & PLACES to get the stuff would be GREAT. It seems most of the good solid answers / pics / diagrams are being given back channel or emailed.

Last edited by Hammered; January 6th, 2009 at 02:02.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: LED Stop Turn Tail / Wiring Question - Searched = dead ends

I used a 6" Oval LED STT and spliced it into the factory harness only using Stop and Tails. I used a 2" Round Amber LED for the Turn Signal spliced into the factory harness. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an electronic one from AutoZone. Everything works great. I did it this way for simplicity.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:51
NAXJA Forum User

if your trying to wire up a trailer harness remove the drivers side plastic panel in the liftgate area behind where the stock spare mount was and theres gonna be a connector in there. I got a splice at autozone that was plug and play it goes in the middle of the factory connector and works great...plus you can store it inside to avoid corrosion
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:55
NAXJA Forum User

You are right about the brand of converter, the reese/drawtright brands are the only brands known to work. You can use one converter for both tails, I had a diagram I drew up awhile back but I will have to find it. What I did though was I bought all the parts, and exposed all the wires. After that it was very straight forward from there as long as you know what each stock wire does.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:04
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx All you need to know. I have LED trailer lights on my Crown Vic trailer and use a cheepo Murray's converter for 10 years with no problems.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:28
NAXJA Forum User

Can't use a Murray for this, for a trailer yes, but not to convert a jeep from standard taillights to all in one taillights.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosephus View Post
Can't use a Murray for this, for a trailer yes, but not to convert a jeep from standard taillights to all in one taillights.
Is there a reason?
Old January 6th, 2009, 14:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinanxj View Post
I used a 6" Oval LED STT and spliced it into the factory harness only using Stop and Tails. I used a 2" Round Amber LED for the Turn Signal spliced into the factory harness. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an electronic one from AutoZone. Everything works great. I did it this way for simplicity.
STT is what I am doing, not a separate turn signal.
but thanks for that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosephus View Post
You are right about the brand of converter, the reese/drawtright brands are the only brands known to work. You can use one converter for both tails, I had a diagram I drew up awhile back but I will have to find it. What I did though was I bought all the parts, and exposed all the wires. After that it was very straight forward from there as long as you know what each stock wire does.
Thanks... at least one person gave solid info.

What pisses me off is I went to 3 different local auto parts places and one truck parts store, it seems Hopkins and the other crappy kind (hooper?)have the market cornered. even places that carry Reese hitches dont have the harnesses. WTF... guess I'll just order one online. I didn't realise it was such a process to get the Stop Turn Tails to function. christ.

Old January 6th, 2009, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

ok so is this what I need??? WTF? so I splice into this and run wires to the passenger side? and that smaller plug takes the place of the passenger side wiring harness? Someone give me a diagram... Please. I want to know how to do it correctly. Not how farmer bob jerry rigged his farm beater.

Quote:

T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector - Jeep Cherokee

Quantity in Cart: None
Code: 118354
Price: $27.95

Tow Ready T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese
  • Provides a 4-pole flat trailer connector for the vehicle
  • Quick and Easy
  • No Cutting, Splicing or Taping
  • Just Plug in the T-One Connector and You're Ready to Tow
  • Solid One Piece Construction
  • 16 Gauge Bonded Wire w/ 4-Flat Plug
  • "Factory" Appearance
  • Simple Do-It-Yourself Instructions on Every Package
Can be used with 5-pole, 6-pole or 7-pole adapters. Installation: Connection point is located behind the trim panel, behind spare tire on the driver's side. The 4-pole trailer connector will be stowed inside the cargo area when not in use.
Tech Tip: It is always a good idea to apply a small amount of grease to all electrical connections to help prevent corrosion.
Warning:Overloading circuit can cause fires. Do not exceed lower of towing manufacturer rating or:
  • Max. stop/turn light: 1 per side (2.1 amps)
  • Max. tail lights: (4 amps)

This is a custom fit application for the following vehicles.
Use the HitchHunter(R) to find what fits.
1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Last edited by Hammered; January 6th, 2009 at 15:09.
Old January 6th, 2009, 16:58
NAXJA Forum User

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do...but I just wired up an LED set-up for the rear with trailer lights, brakes, run lights, turn, and reverse...if you want I can post a pic. Just took the stock harness and cut it at the tail lights and spliced them to the plugs.

~Scott
Old January 6th, 2009, 17:33
NAXJA Forum User

wiring up LED - STOP TURN TAIL LIGHTS (STT) for Tail light guards on the XJ... No trailer... However everyone that seems to have any knowlege on the subject is saying to USE A TRAILER WIRING HARNESS.

So...

For a RED "STT" TAIL LIGHT, ANYONE that has any PICS of the WIRING SET UP... this would be GREATLY appreciated. I could give up and have a seperate turn signal LED. I dont WANT to do that ...I'd like to use the STT LED as it was intended as a STOP (BRAKE LIGHT) TURN SIGNAL & TAIL (Marker Light).
Old January 6th, 2009, 17:42
NAXJA Forum User

I know it sounds odd, but vehicle year?
Does it have a factory tow package?

I don't know why you are discounting trailer wiring solutions, after all, that is'nt that exactly what you are asking for (Conversion from EU standard Stop/Tail-Turn to Stop/Turn/Tail?

You could look up your Jeep by year, look on GLJT for a FSM for the thing, buy two relays and do the conversion yourself. After all, thats how the factory does the conversion from ST-T to STT for your trailer hook up.

Last edited by WB9YZU; January 6th, 2009 at 18:02.
Old January 6th, 2009, 17:57
NAXJA Forum User

'97 ...no tow package, Just Rigid bumpers.
Old January 6th, 2009, 18:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
'97 ...no tow package, Just Rigid bumpers.
Ah, I was editing while you were typing. Please revisit my last post and see if that helps.
Old January 6th, 2009, 18:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Is there a reason?

They just don't work.

Hammerd, the best way to find one in your area is to go to Reese's website and search for dealers.