NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 29th, 2019, 11:55
NAXJA Member

Grand Cherokee Fan Clutch on Renix?

I am working on getting better cooling at low rpms. I have seen posts about using a GC fan clutch upgrade but some peeps say there is a clearance issue with the Renix. Anybody have some personal knowledge about this? or a different/better fan clutch.

I am running a 4.7L stroker so it generates quite a bit of heat, especially at low rpms.

I am running a second stock electric fan. I am also thinking about changing to the 97+ electric fan for the second AUX fan. I am told that the fan with the 97+ moves more air. With the 97+, there are two designs of fan blades that I have found. One is big and wide, and the other appears more skinny but shaped more like a scimitar. Anybody have real info on the difference in CFMs?

I am running a 3 row radiator and a transmission cooler as well. I pull an offroad teardrop and at 9,000+ feet and 10% or greater grades, it just doesn't stay as cool as I would like.

Last edited by old_man; July 29th, 2019 at 13:44.
Old August 7th, 2019, 03:42
NAXJA Member

Re: Grand Cherokee Fan Clutch on Renix?

I’ve been running the Hayden ZJ fan for years now without issue. It definitely moves some serious air. I have zero clearance issues with it
Old August 7th, 2019, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

I installed the grand cherokee fan clutch in my 1990 Rennix Cherokee. it fits, it is a bit tight getting it installed, but it does fit. works fine, no excessive noise noted either as some have suggested I may hear.
Old August 7th, 2019, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
I am also thinking about changing to the 97+ electric fan for the second AUX fan. I am told that the fan with the 97+ moves more air. With the 97+, there are two designs of fan blades that I have found. One is big and wide, and the other appears more skinny but shaped more like a scimitar. Anybody have real info on the difference in CFMs?
The newer ones definitely move more air and make less noise. More efficient blade design. It's possible they could pull less amps also, but I'm not sure. The newest ones are the most "S" shaped blades and should move the most air, not sure what year they started that. There was another upgrade sometime after '97.
Old August 11th, 2019, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

I was reading on line some where on line about a XJ build and he used a different fan from a newer car that was a 10 blade fan and it was plastic and used the stock fan clutch and it pulled so much air he said that his hot restart problem also went away . I saved it but that computer crashed so I lost it and now I can't find it on line .but if you look at are fans they are all cut down so we lose so power to pull air though the radiator .
Old August 11th, 2019, 18:41
NAXJA Member

I got rid of my high temp issue. As it turns out, the biggest thing was a bad fan clutch. It actually turned easier at temp than at ambient. It had a lifetime warranty so it was a no brainer.

At the same time I got a new fan shroud. I had cut a couple of inches out of the bottom on the road one day when I had a problem and got frustrated working around it.

I also switched the old aux fan for a 97+ fan and it moves a ton more air. It cost me about $50 on RockAuto.

I never boiled over but it must have been really close. I pull a trailer up 6% grades at 8000 ft elevation all the time with an ambient temp in the 90's and it would warm up. I attribute some of the heat to the tranny, so I had an extra $30 and added an auxiliary tranny cooler as well.