• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leak Front Passenger Side

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else experienced a coolant leak on the front passenger side? I don't see much missing from the reservoir but the leaks increase when I fill it up. It leaks less when the reservoir is less full.

What year jeep? There are at least two very different cooling systems on these jeeps.

I suggest a pressure test of the cooling system. If you have the pressure tank type (early type) a cracked reservoir may leak, and of course wont hold pressure,

If it is a heater core leak, the level in the reservoir probably wont make a difference unless you have run very low on coolant, but that dont sound like the case with you.

What year jeep? There are at least two very different cooling systems on these jeeps.

I suggest a pressure test of the cooling system. If you have the pressure tank type (early type) a cracked reservoir may leak, and of course wont hold pressure,

If it is a heater core leak, the level in the reservoir probably wont make a difference unless you have run very low on coolant, but that dont sound like the case with you.

My bad, it's 1996 XJ Sport. I wasn't specific in the original post and then got really busy with work.

The problem:

I have a leak on the passenger side under the radiator. It gets worse when I fill up the plastic reservoir tank on the passenger side. When the reservoir tank gets lower the leak get less and less. I just don't see where the leak is coming from, I just see a very, very small drip puddle. The puddle gets a little larger when I fill the reservoir.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've had more than a few, both Renix and later models, that leaked where the eaduator cross fins mount to the end tank or where the cross fin endplate mounts to the end tank. Hard to see in there, either the shroud blocks your view or other stuff from the front. Wrapping a piece of white paper towel around the end of a chopstick and poking it in a suspect area can tell you how high the leak is, a good flashlight can help. The coolant color stain shows up well on a piece of white paper towel. I have a blacklight flashlight that makes the coolant glow with some brands of antifreeze, which makes chasing down a leak a lot easier.
As the leak or seep releases pressure the leak slows down, but at the same time lowers the boiling point of your coolant.

I've had more than a few, both Renix and later models, that leaked where the eaduator cross fins mount to the end tank or where the cross fin endplate mounts to the end tank. Hard to see in there, either the shroud blocks your view or other stuff from the front. Wrapping a piece of white paper towel around the end of a chopstick and poking it in a suspect area can tell you how high the leak is, a good flashlight can help. The coolant color stain shows up well on a piece of white paper towel. I have a blacklight flashlight that makes the coolant glow with some brands of antifreeze, which makes chasing down a leak a lot easier.
As the leak or seep releases pressure the leak slows down, but at the same time lowers the boiling point of your coolant.

Thank you, I will try this today.

Thank you, I looked by the drain plug and put my hand on the drain plug and it's dry but the leak comes down in that general area. Should I just start looking for a new radiator? I was about to put Bar's leak in it but before I did it, I read that it may be harmful to the heater core etc.

What is the difficulty level for radiator replacement, I also have an A/C condenser attached to the radiator (I think it's attached). Do you know how many hours a mechanic would charge in case I am unable to do it?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you, I looked by the drain plug and put my hand on the drain plug and it's dry but the leak comes down in that general area. Should I just start looking for a new radiator? I was about to put Bar's leak in it but before I did it, I read that it may be harmful to the heater core etc.

What is the difficulty level for radiator replacement, I also have an A/C condenser attached to the radiator (I think it's attached). Do you know how many hours a mechanic would charge in case I am unable to do it?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know why I can't edit, but I want to add that when it's running I don't see it leaking but it leaks a few minutes after I turn the Jeep off.

Have you checked the tightness of the hose clamp ?Have the hoses been replaced ,recently or at all?
About a 2 hr job to replace, depending on interruptions.

Have you checked the tightness of the hose clamp ?Have the hoses been replaced ,recently or at all?
About a 2 hr job to replace, depending on interruptions.

The hoses were replaced most likely 2017-2018. Tomorrow, I will start from the top (hoses) and then go to the bottom. My main concern when replacing is the transmission cooler connections and the condenser connection. I may not have the took for the transmission line. I will take photos of them.

Thank you for the information.

I would recommend to have your cooling system pressure tested by a repair shop.

I will add that I saw a post from myself from 2011 talking about a coolant leak that wasn't water pump related, I was one of those folks who didn't post a conclusion! I have been cussing myself! LOL

I'm going to but a new radiator cap tomorrow and see if that helps, if not I am going to buy one of those Spectra Complete Radiator CU1193from Amazon. My Jeep has 247k on it. If she idles, you can barely hear her.

Yeah, don't do the Bars leak. It's pretty good at plugging up everything else too. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the radiator itself, but I'm confused why the leak seems worse if the reservoir has more in it.

Yeah, don't do the Bars leak. It's pretty good at plugging up everything else too. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the radiator itself, but I'm confused why the leak seems worse if the reservoir has more in it.

Yeah, I am skipping the Bars leaks (that's two I bought & didn't use!) , I bought a new radiator for $64 because of discount and a core refund. If I have a problem doing it myself , I can get it done at a family owned shop for $125 labor. I may just do that, get an oil change, and fix the coolant temp sensor (gauges) , so they can make up for what they lost on the part. It's a father, mother, son run operation. Another quote was for $385 from a radiator place, it was parts and labor.

It's odd because it seems like there's no pressure in the radiator but it flows and cools, it's done so in the warmer weather as well. But somehow it's able to take the coolant from the reservoir as it leaks out. Another funny thing is when it runs it doesn't leak, it only leaks under the radiator on the passenger side. I'm going to change the hoses out too.

Ok, stupid question but have you checked the catch tank itself? Mine developed a crack in the bottom of it on Saturday and poured coolant out on the ground on the passenger side.

Ok, stupid question but have you checked the catch tank itself? Mine developed a crack in the bottom of it on Saturday and poured coolant out on the ground on the passenger side.

No, mine was under the front bumper on the passenger side. I had a new radiator installed and no more leaks after 70 miles in the Jeep. So far so good, my leaking radiator did a great job cooling even though it had those problems. I just had to top off the overflow bottle every few days. I can see that there's more stability with the temps with the new radiator, today was a warm day and my gauge is below 210F , it stays the same way on the highway, when I merge the temp gets a little lower and bounces back to right below 210F. Lines and stop & go still make it run up to about 210. So far so good, now it's on to oil change, shock replacement, tune up, a/c, then leaks.

These are great vehicles good maintenance sure beat a car payment every month. All the best and thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Back