• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Start-up after 2 years parked

AJBob

NAXJA Forum User
'88 4 dr Cherokee, 4.0 liter, auto trans
I've had my Jeep parked for 2 years and am wanting to get it back on the road. I am planning on pulling the oil pan to replace the rear seal (reason its parked). What else should I check, clean?

Replace all fluids. Oil/gas/coolant/tranny fluid/t-case fluid/ diff lube.

Put the engine at #1TDC and pull the disributor(mark the possition on the dist), use a cordless drill and a long screw driver bit and turn the oil pump shaft to pull pressure up on the motor to lube all the bearings. Replace dist. and give it a go.

Before dropping the pan, check everything, and fire it up for a few minutes to have everything well lubed. That way when you take it apart, you'll know everything is still in good working order. You don't want to know how many people with Jeeps have dropped the rear seal and reassembled, only to find rods start knocking and have to take it apart again!

While in there...Might want to replace oil pump and pickup tube.

To me thats is a given...If the pan comes down, replace oil pump....Provided you haven't changed it before.

Its somewhat cheap insurance.

Matthew Currie said:
Check for mouse nests in the air intake and exhaust. No kidding.

Consider a complete brake fluid flush.

lol, this is no joke, I've encountered a mouse nest in the air intake from a jeep that only sat for 3 months!

did the same thing but havent changes tranny fluid. but coolant, t-case, added to diff's and oil. ran the gas that was in it. 220,000 miles and runs great.

Back