• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad shake in front end

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
just installed my rustys tie rod conversion. everything in installed correct per the instructions that were enclosed. however now when driving around 45-ish i get a really bad shake, not much under or over that speed. dont have any idea what it could be, any input? thanks for any help guys

play_in_the_mud said:
just installed my rustys tie rod conversion. everything in installed correct per the instructions that were enclosed. however now when driving around 45-ish i get a really bad shake, not much under or over that speed. dont have any idea what it could be, any input? thanks for any help guys

Search for death wobble.

It might help if you said which kit you bought?And a little more details.

so you installed a new tie rod. did you adjust the toe. if you haven't you need to adjust it within spec search there are few posts on homebrew alignments

ok i said which kit it was was, when i started off i said i installed my "Rustys" tie rod conversion. I did have it aligned. I work at NTB we did it in the shop and aligned it right atfer. I dont think its death wobble because it wasnt doin it before. i dont see how replacing tie rods could have caused death woble. but i am going to look back into it. thanks for the help so far guys, any more light that is shed on this is appreciated.

play_in_the_mud said:
ok i said which kit it was was, when i started off i said i installed my "Rustys" tie rod conversion. I did have it aligned. I work at NTB we did it in the shop and aligned it right atfer. I dont think its death wobble because it wasnt doin it before. i dont see how replacing tie rods could have caused death woble. but i am going to look back into it. thanks for the help so far guys, any more light that is shed on this is appreciated.

I think they meant what lift are you running and what other components are you running.

Rusty's has both an OTK and an UTK kit!

Loose a bead in the mud lately? I had a similar problem ~a week afterward. Why it was after thing dried out a bit and not right away, I haven't got a clue. I ended up taking about a 3 pound coffee can of rabbit turds out, huge difference. After a balance all was good again.

I went to Currie's steering linkage right before the holiday's and have had what sounds like the same exact wobble or shake. As long as I don't go right around 45 to 50 I'm fine, so I'm putting up with it. I know I have quite a few parts that don't help (stock and beaten trackbar/control arms with a 3 inch lift, bad shocks, uneven wear on tires) and they'll all be replaced this spring, so for now my rig is just for running around town.

Check the joints for play at both ends by watching them while someone turns the wheel back and forth about a half turn.
Make sure your steering stabilizer is properly installed. If there were any other parts replaced check them for tightness and play also.

Back