• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ P0700 and P0705

They all look way too high, making me think you have a bad common ground. They should all be under a few ohms with the shifter in the position that close them.

This is completely bizarre.

I went through tonight and cleaned all my grounds again. Wire brush on a drill, going through each connector and made sure they looked like a mirror. Blasted em with brake clean and wiped er down with a rag when I was done. I scanned for codes and got not only the two I originally had, but now a P1698 code to top it all off. I tested the same pins I did last time to see if it was a ground issue. Low and behold, pins 9, 21, and 22 all read about 200 ohms higher than before.

I tried redoing all my ground cleaning two more times to no avail. I might screw with it tomorrow evening. I just don't know what's going on here.

The P1698 is probably from testing with the TCM unplugged and the key-on. Where are you measuring from? Have you measured right at the NSS? There is also a connector under the hood that you should clean and test from.

It's been a while but I wanted to update everyone anyway.

After testing over and over again at the NSS, I could get continuity on P, R, N, 3, and 2-1 at the right spots, but I just couldn't get it to work regardless of how many times I adjusted it at the vehicle. As a last ditch effort, I wound up taking drill bit roughly the same size as the slot the adjuster bolt goes through. I fired up the drill and carved it out maybe 1/8" of an inch to give me just a hair of extra adjustment. Low and behold, I was able to get it lined in just right with this mod. Test drove the Jeep and restarted it 5 times. No CEL, shifts into all 4 gears and the TC locks up when appropriate.

I don't know how long this will continue to work. Even if it throws a CEL once a week or so and I have to clear the codes to get it to function, I'll just live with it. Lawsoncl, I do believe the P1698 was the computer just getting pissy from me unplugging the harness so much. Thanks for sticking with me through this wreck lol.

Thank you to all the contributed to this thread. Hopefully I don't have to return to it :)

Thanks for the update. I'll just add that I bought my 2wd 2000 XJ in 2003 and put nearly 400K on it, and in all those years, the P0705 DTC was the most vexing issue I have run into.

X2 I’m at a loss why my gf’s 2000 had it. Did you slot the left or right side of sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20210518_205434.jpg

Looks like I made it a lot bigger than I needed to but better too much than not enough.

Back