• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery shopping

Rcfan37

NAXJA Forum User
Time to go battery shopping for my 97 xj

What is everyone running in them nowadays ??

I hear Optimas aren’t what they used to be and oddesseys warranty sux so
What’s left ??

Die hard platinum ??

Thanks
Rcfan37

Look into East Penn Mfg, AKA Deka. Reviews on them seem the most positive.

I bought one for my Suburban a few years back. Not long enough and not a big enough sample to mean anything, but it has certainly topped the Optima yellowtop that died on me at 18 months old. OTOH, the yellowtop that replaced the dud has been working fine for several years now too.

I have several battery trays that are very specifically designed for Optima batteries. In those I will probably continue to run Optimas, but the rest I am most likely going to be trying Deka batteries.

Can confirm. The East Penn/Deka AGMs are great. Last one I had lasted at least 8 years and was so reliable I forgot to notice it expanding as it wore out. It was still starting but got slow to start as I was driving less for reasons. Finally replaced it last month. Not cheap but given the time it lasted I can't complain.

It's rebranded eight ways to Sunday, but I learned to recognize it from the shape of it's outer shell. Here's the one I bought:

78plt_front.jpg

You can recognize the same battery in other brands from the little plastic ridges on the bottom. This is the same battery branded Duracell at Sam's:

0008399630000_A

Same shell, handle, just cosmetic differences.

Last edited:
I did a search on batteries awhile ago and came up with NAPA's Legend brand. It was rated right up there with the Die-hards. Since then I bought a bunch more Legends for my other cars and really like them.

Best regards,

CJR

I still buy Optima's, I currently have 5 of them and in over 30yrs the shortest life has been 7yrs. My next buy will be a Lithium-ion battery but they are really expensive!

NAPA batteries are from the DEKA brand, Just replaced a 5 yr old one in the 98XJ

I still buy Optima's, I currently have 5 of them and in over 30yrs the shortest life has been 7yrs. My next buy will be a Lithium-ion battery but they are really expensive!

Curious about those. Apart from weight do they perform the same? How about in cold weather?

I can verify. My last 1st optima. 10years.
#2 3 years. <--- this one I believe was partially killed by a bad alternator
#3 is 2 years old now. no issues yet.

I would buy a super start if I were to buy again

Curious about those. Apart from weight do they perform the same? How about in cold weather?

Which are you asking about?

I can verify. My last 1st optima. 10years.
#2 3 years. <--- this one I believe was partially killed by a bad alternator
#3 is 2 years old now. no issues yet.

I would buy a super start if I were to buy again

I have found that they do require some special attention if you want them to last.

I have the Napa legend in my jeep at least for 6 years I would recommend them I worked at napa we sold a ton of deka batteries very little problems.

Had a coupon code for a Bosch AGM. Only thing is I had to go to PepBoys for the battery. Had it for 2 years no problems

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CAT batteries are heavier duty, thicker plates, than automotive. You can feel the weight difference. If you can find one that fits. The newer optimas are definitely not as good as the old ones before interstate bought them, but they are still good. Just way overpriced. Unless deka has improved in the last 5-10 years I'd stay away. I run top and side posts so I run optima

Expensive!!! Click on the "Shop" heading. But they will come down in price as more manufacturers get into the market, it's all part of the electric car movement.

Expensive!!! Click on the "Shop" heading. But they will come down in price as more manufacturers get into the market, it's all part of the electric car movement.
Holy $#!+? Yes they are!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back