• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My JV carnage

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Well I made it out there but broke friday night in one of the stupidest ways so I didnt get to make a run.

Since putting in my 4:1 t-case I have now broken 3 detroit true trac's and this time it happened in sand as I tried to turn sharp right. We pulled the diff cover and it looked like I had metal gear oil :( took a look inside the casing and could see the center shaft was broken and the teeth on 2 of the gears in side were MIA.

on the way home the trans in my tow rig gave out so AAA got called and after me yelling a lot of curse words at the dumb tow truck driver that I wanted the 4wd truck on a flat bed and not on a dolly and that the jeep on the trailer wasnt drivable so quit asking me to unload it and get a second truck out here like I asked for in the first place, (yes even AAA asked for 2 flat bed trucks and I called them to verify it when one stinger truck showed up)

But to my surprise My wife was happy that was all I broke this weekend and was even happier I came home early to be with her.

That sucks :(

Between School yesterday morning and work today, I couldn't go either :doh:

Well I think that we all broke somthing but one thing that was not broken was out spirit for jeeps. We will get them fixed and be on the trail again soon.

Me, Hmmm what did I break, First the windshield, or was crushing the "A" pillar a contributing factor. After the A pillar then I decided to bust the caps off the rear u-joint. Trying to get the rear driveshaft out was a pain in the arse. We got back to camp and change the u-joint and then tried to get the drive shaft in and discovered that the output shaft on the t-case must be bent.

Did all this on "trying" the entrance to back door.

All is good, it will be fixed and we will be back very soon.

On a good note I did not overheat - Just replaced the head and fixed the rear main and finished at about 10PM thurs night.

Leep

So how did the prerunner run go on Saturday?:anon:

1 tire
2 wheels (1 hammered back out)
1 yoke/u-joint
2 UCA bolts
maybe alternator
1 trailer tire
1 shock
1 marriage... (almost but she's over it.)

3 MT/R's
1 superflex joint
1 driveshaft
1 door
1 mirror
1 tow strap
handle for my tire swing
doorhandle

need to repair
transfer case skid
exhaust

It was an excellent weekend. Now if america's tire could just get even 1 tire in for me to warantee replace before I hit the trail again wednesday, I'll be a happy camper.

4xSanta said:
Got dust all over the interior/exterior after running jack and sledgehammer now I have to wash it..........SANTA
Already finished my repairs (washed them all Sunday) :D

thankfully no fuel pump carnage this time. Only needed to tighten my draglink castle nut at the pitman arm....and wash the xj

Well, my first JV run... Clawhammer....

Passenger side rear door kissed a rock
tire carrier swing out a little warped since the latch was broken and I backed into a rock with it (nothing major)
rock rails and skid plates were well used - took gashes out of them!
tie rod jam nuts came loose (thanks Josh for pointing that out)
drive shaft may need to be re-balanced.

still need to wash the Jeep to see what else I might find....

My carnage,
Rear driveshaft
Tail shaft on t-case cracked
Pass side 1/4 pannel took a good hit
all 4 wheels & tires chewed up pretty good
Picked up a large spike in my trailer tire
Probably could of avoided most of this but hey it was 1st at JV!
Had a great time though!

15 or so bruises in random places
1 large gash on my spine
one busted left knuckle
sprained toe
mud butt...

what happened?

GRIMUS99XJ said:
Fixed it for you
it was only because we got home about 6 hours later than planned.
Ben got a ride in a TJ with another group that broke hard on Aftershock. they didn't get him back to camp till about 4pm. we were packed up and loaded by 1ish. then the trailer tire that let go added another hour and a half or so.
I told her I planned on getting home in the early to mid afternoon which to her means mid to late afternoon. not evening or night. But having my son see me this morning and run to me with the biggest hug in the world made up for it.

KRAKER said:
My head still hurts an incredible amount (thx Rawbrown)

PS- I apologize to anyone I may have offended while completely obliterated.

You didn't manage to offend me. I'm offended that I wasn't worth the trouble. :/

Edit: oh wait, you broke the only rule in mark's RV. I guess that counts. :)

karstic said:
So how did the prerunner run go on Saturday?:anon:
It was sweet until the crater..:passgas:

Back