• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles, lockers, driveshafts and SYE!?

tantotrailers

NAXJA Forum User
My front axle needs a rebuild, running everything stock on the drivetrain right now. Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. I’m running 31” tires and 4” lift. I am in need of advice as to how to proceed in the most optimal way while staying economical.

People are telling me to just regear both front and rear and add lockers but that’s more work than I think is currently necessary as I don’t plan on going to bigger tires any time soon….still stock at the fenders! I am leaning towards a front rebuild with stock gears but a selectable electric locker (I don’t want lunch box or any other makeshift solution). Leave the rear as it is…

I also have been told to just get new axles all together! There are so so many options and I’m slightly overwhelmed…

To add to all that I have vibration coming from the driveline angles not being proper after the lift so I was thinking SYE with new rear driveshaft but is there an SYE kit that has U Joints that will fit the stock yoke in the rear differential? 1310 I think?

I’m not a welder, and I don’t really do too much of the wrenching myself, the SYE kit really intimidates me so I will likely have a shop do the work as well as the axle rebuild.

Here she sits when it was still nice and warm out round here!

1a7c9bfb5570cc97026c554f962c435a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are your plans with your vehicle, what do you want it to do, and how often do you get "stuck" and shift into 4wd?

I went with a front gear-type lsd for my mild off-roading and snow, more like fire roads and a couple times I went rockish climbing my 4wd pulled me thru (not hardcore like when you think rock climbing but enough to use 4wd to get over and no tire in the air). I got it on amazon warehouse special so it was cheap, I knew I didn't want a full time locker, and selectable was too much for my cheap xj. As long as the spinning wheel has some traction the lsd works good, its when it's off the ground freewheeling it doesn't work.

This is my primary off roading rig and I’m out there collecting Jeep Badge of Honor badges. I get stuck all the time in 4wd and have to winch myself out…

If your sure your sticking with that size I don't think I'd invest in a gear change. But lsd/lockers are the easy part as you can do it your-self with very few tools.

What is the budget ??

Low budget is Lock Right type lunchbox automatic lockers and a good used axle. Maybe electric lockers are better these days, but they used to really fragile, and some could not be rebuilt, you had to do a complete install over again if it broke.

Big budget, you should be looking at air lockers.

31" and stock axles with stock gears is good enough, I have over 100,000 miles on my 2000 with stock axles, Lock Rights, and 31's.

At 4" of lift, you need an SYE. SYE installs are not that difficult, and at 4" of lift you can use a stock XJ Cherokee front driveshaft for the rear axle.

Lockers area great traction improvement for off-road, Lock Right type DIY automatic lockers are good enough, and not very expensive. If you plan on any winter weather pavement driving, you should choose a True Trac Limited Slip for the front axle, a selectable locker, or just leave the front differential open. Fornt axle uto lockers have strange and at times slightly unsafe behaviors on icy/snowy roads.

Last edited:
Budget is tight! I’m not looking to go broke but I also don’t want auto locker cause I do drive it on road a lot and don’t want it ever engaging without me telling it to do so. Regarding the SYE question, is there one that will work with 1310 u joints?

I’ve considered the front driveshaft for the rear but it’s not crazy expensive to get a proper rear so I will likely do that with the SYE.

Where are you located in IL? I'm down south of Effingham.

Go post in the Mid West Chapter there may be someone close that can help you out.

JIM.

Where are you located in IL? I'm down south of Effingham.

Go post in the Mid West Chapter there may be someone close that can help you out.

JIM.

I’m in Elgin about 4 hours straight north of you! You’re lucky to be so close to Redbird!

.... don’t want auto locker cause I do drive it on road a lot and don’t want it ever engaging without me telling it to do so.

My 2000 with lockers installed was my all year around daily driver and my trail rig for many years. I also drove it 1280 miles to Moab Utah, spent the week off-roading, and then drove it another 1280 miles home again, 5 different times.

My rear locker doesn't behave much different than the factory installed Jeep Limited Slip it replaced. I prefer a rear traction device for Midwest winters over an open differential, and rear locker behaviors are easy to adapt your driving style to.

All the stock XJ driveshaft u-joints are 1310 type, and most or all XJ SYE are 1310 type as well.

This vehicle will see no snow if I can help it, I’m keeping it in the garage while the roads are salty to help prevent rust. My main concern is to not have lockers when I’m on the road and have them when I need them off roading.

This vehicle will see no snow if I can help it, I’m keeping it in the garage while the roads are salty to help prevent rust. My main concern is to not have lockers when I’m on the road and have them when I need them off roading.

If that is the case go with an auto locker in the front. You won't notice it in 2WD.

Off-road they are great. I don't notice it engaging/disengaging off-road. Every once in a while I'll hear a pop, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've been running one since 2001. A lot of that time was as a DD.

Back