• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding a Peugoet Trans

There is a FSM for the Ba10/5...

The tooling gets to be a bit of a hassle, but with a clean place to work and the time to wait on parts, it can be done.

I think the general consensus is that it isn't worth doing. Most people swap in AX-15s or AX-5's I believe. I don't know if they bolt right up or not, but I'm sure someone will chime in here.

I've opened the case and bearing pieces fell out but the gears look good. I thought about the AX 15 swap but thats around $1500 and a bearing and seal kit for the Peugeot is $200.

Last edited:
I'd be a little leery of the job - can you source a "builder" AX5/AX15 at a local salvage yard? I've seen kits for overhauling those online for reasonable prices, and the next time I take out that damn Peugeot gearbox in my 88 it's going to go into the scrap pile... Nothing like the fun of "Synchrosmash" 1st and 2d gear...

5-90

I tryed fixing mine, I took the cases apart and bearings and springs shot every where!!!!
I pitched it and found another BA10 for $50 bucks.
I priced some parts and they were expunsive.

Brian-

Generally the consensus is not to bother with the Peu transmission. It generally was considered marginal when in good shape. Read an article not too long ago in a 4 WD mag where they professionally rebuilt one and did not hold up at all and they regretted even messing with it in the first place. Look around, i am sure you can find an AX15 for way less than that.

Sometimes it not good to be cheap. I think I'll check some boneyards for a newer trans. I found a good wrightup on a AX-15 swap so I'm going in that direction. Thanks for all the imput.

Ya I'd agree that it's not worth dumping $$$ into a weak tranny.

I have an almost spent BA10 in my MJ, it is being swapped with a AW4 auto, once I gather the little parts and a 21 spl T case I need for it. I could send the Peugot up to ya (free + shipping from 28327) if you need anohter parts pile

The only bummer of an AX15(or newer AW4) swap is that the peugots and early AW4s were 21 spline output. AFAIK the AX15 and newer NV3550 are all 23 spline. The slick deal would be to pull the tranny and matching tcase out of a wrecked XJ/MJ/YJ/TJ then sell your 21 spline case for a bit of $$$ to offset.

I would go for the AX swap,almost every Pukegoat trans I have torn down has had the bearing races spinning in the case,they are way expensive to rebuild and all around the trans is not real good or user friendly..................just my 2 cents.............
Rags:D

Back