• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump question

GWUISTER

NAXJA Forum User
Time to replace the water pump on my 98 Cherokee 4.0.
I see I can order a "severe duty" pump or get a standard pump. Any opinions on the severe duty pump?
I have never has any cooling issues with this Jeep, others I've had in the past did run hotter. Don't know what pump I currently have, however it is the original pump.
Any thoughts?
-greg

What store is this?

I'd get the 'severe duty' part whenever I could. When I replaced my WP in my last XJ, they didn't mention that.

Hell, my XJ is a police package so it may actually supposed to get it.

Not sure what severe duty means. However, if the price premium isn't much more, I'd probably go with it.

I know that there is a new design for XJ waterpumps which improves on the flow of the OEM factory one, but I don't think they call that a "severe duty" pump, just a redesign.

Do NOT buy a refurbished water pump. Go with new only.

make sure its a reputable brand too. ive put in 3 cheapo "new" water pumps from advance auto parts. only reason i keep putting them in is the warranty. next one i get is goin to be a flowkooler pump. how much is the severe duty pump?

Back