• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty shafts in a xj 8.25

Tonyt22

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and getting conflicting answer with axle shafts fit in a xj 8.25 I know the carrier will but what about shafts thanks

They should fit,what are you doing?What year XJ and what year Liberty?

If your going to pull Liberty shafts then grab the disc brakes also!!!

He'll for all that go pull a liberty 8.25, screw the shafts. Your going to upgrade a carrier and all this, I would've done this long ago had I known different!

The local junk yard is having 40% off sale 4th of July weekend so I'll pick up the carrier and maybe 2 sets of shafts that weekend debating if I should spend the extra time and try to hunt down a lsd carrier or just get the open and get a locker later down the road

Has anyone here actually put KJ shafts in an XJ? Quick Google search is giving me conflicting info on wether they are compatible or not. No personal experience here, would just hate to see OP buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit. I have 8.25 shafts in my shed if you want some measurements off them

Last edited:
Has anyone here actually put KJ shafts in an XJ? Quick Google search is giving me conflicting info on wether they are compatible or not. No personal experience here, would just hate to see OP buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit. I have 8.25 shafts in my shed if you want some measurements off them

I was getting the same info I believe I looked at some Yukon shafts or something and under fitment it included 02-04 kjs so I think if I get one from there I'll be good

So I was looking at the new carrier for the d30 and had a old cross pin laying around from when I installed my locker and it's way short like flush on one side and about a inch short on the other does the 3.73 and up carriers take a different cross pin or do you think Amazon sent me the wrong one ?

Just to clear everything up in case someone runs into this thread from a google search after cross referencing with part numbers from autozone shafts for the xj and kj they are indeed different. kj shafts are just slightly longer at 30 1/4 and xjs at 29 inches that's from base to end of shaft not total length

Geez im lost! Ha. Due to my lack of knowledge......
Fill me in. What's the plus side of this upgrade compared to the chrysler/Corperate 8.25 Diff that was fitted to some XJ's.
Just the disc brakes?

Why not just put the XJ 8.25, 29 spline in it?
Get the open type carrier to be able to fit a loka in it.

I already had the c8.25 but mine was a older unit with the 27 splines and local junkyard had a liberty that I pulled the lsd carrier from and was curious if the shafts would work as well but they were to long

Back