• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB bumper

creedua

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought the ARB 3450010 used. I didn't bother checking for fitment because every other bumper says they are all the same. Anyone know why the ARB would be different? The 3450010 says it fits up to 96 but will not fit 97 and up.

The front fenders, fender flares, and bumper ends are slightly different, 84-96 vs. 97-01. 84-96 fenders and fender flares have a longer section on the front portion that is below the level of the bumper and the bumper ends float free. 97-01 have the larger bumper ends, and the fenders are actually trimmed at the bumper level when compared to early fenders.

Either bumper will bolt to any XJ Cherokee, the only difference between the two ARB bumpers is that there are two sizes of the wrap around "side wing" on the bumper under the side marker light. A late bumper on an early XJ will require some fender and flare trimming, and an early bumper on a late XJ may have a visual gap at the fender due to the shorter "side wing".

Last edited:
The fenders and fender flares are slightly different, 84-96 vs. 97-01.

84-96 fenders and fender flares have a longer section on the front side below the bumper. 97-01 have the larger bumper ends and the fenders are actually trimmed at the bumper level when compared to early fenders. I think that ARB bumpers have two sizes or shapes of the wrap around "side wing" of the bumper under the side marker light.

Well that sucks, know of any way to make it work? It was a really good deal.

Broke down and called ARB today, they said the bumper shell itself is the same but the mounts are different because of crumple zone. And this one will not work on mine. This sounds crazy to me, every other bumper in the world lists them as 84-01.

Broke down and called ARB today, they said the bumper shell itself is the same but the mounts are different because of crumple zone. And this one will not work on mine. This sounds crazy to me, every other bumper in the world lists them as 84-01.

ARB must be mistaken, or thinks you own a ZJ, any XJ bumper will bolt onto any XJ.

I just installed a 3450080 (ARB Bull bar for 97-01 XJ';s) into my 98. Unfortunately, I lost all the photos of my install. However, comparing what I did to what Matt did here: (https://youtu.be/sgABAYlptfA) I don't see any differences. I even used the same JCR off road tie in brackets he did.

I'd bet $20 you'll be fine, I bet the only difference is the fenders (The things Matt cut off at 4:17 in his video). So installing a pre-97 ARB Bull Bar in a post-97 Jeep will just mean you will have a gap between the bumper and the wheel, and installing a post-97 bumper in a pre-97 jeep will require cutting like Matt did.

I'd give it a shot, if you want to post pics of the bumper I can post pics of mine (installed) to compare to.

TBH, kinda underwhelmed with the bumper, looks great but I don't know if it's really worth 2x the other bumpers out there. ARB always talks up crush cans and how it is airbag safe, but I don't see any crush cans or how it is different from any other bumper at all. I bet that is a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
I have a pre 96 ARB bumper on my 2000 fitment was a tight on the unibody but it bolted up. I don’t have fender flares and I have cut the snot out of them so for me it looks great and for 300 I could resist its the only aftermarket bumper that is air bag approved.

Back