• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front of engine knocking

paul_s

NAXJA Forum User
89XJ, 4.0, auto. There's a slight knock coming from the front of the engine, but its exact location i'm not sure of. It's not very loud but it sounds like metal on metal. I can only hear it at idle and when I raise the RPMs it doesn't go away, but it doesn't seem to get any worse. Anyone ever hear this kind of noise? Any clues as to what it might be? Thanks!

The 4.0 in line six is known for having "piston slap", where the piston knocks against the cylinder bore slightly. It sounds sort of like a lifter, but less metallic, and more of a dull knock. Is this what you are hearing?

If so, then don't worry about it. Piston slap is NOT fatal to the 4.0, as the engine can go 100K+ miles sounding like this.

For those of us raised on Chevy and Ford 6 cylinder engines, it's very disconcerning at first, but it grows on you..........

I also have an '89 4.0 and have similar knocking at times. I first noticed it 3 or 4 years ago, and it comes and goes. It's always at idle and can sound like a diesel at times! It also only occurs at idle. I think I've noticed a relationship to which oil and filter I'm using, but could be way off there. The good news is that after all this time nothing has blown apart!

Here's a thought...
... paul_s, have you inspected your harmonic ballancer (main pulley) lately? The 4.0 loves to eat the dampening material and the pulley walks off of the hub (sometimes toward the front cover with a knocking noise)

I was hoping it's not that, but I'm not ruling it out. I'll take a look at that this weekend when we replace the serpentine belt. Thanks!

Piston slap is more common on early ‘90s 4.0L engines. If the noise comes and goes away randomly, it might be just a noisy lifter (more frequent on AMC engines).
It can be caused by an oil starving lifter (sludge in oil passages) or by a failed lifter (replace).
I have an ’88 that has occasional lifter tick for almost 5 years now. I am not in a hurry to replace it.

I have occasional lifter ticking too. My ticking is definately a function of the condition of my oil and brand of oil filter. The front engine knock is a much deeper sound and comes from lower on the block. It is especially loud when listening from the drivers side front wheel well. I feel so special to have both...

Did, it just start doing it all of a sudden?? because if the engine got a little warm one day driving then it could be a lifter...My 89 4.0 does this. I also have another xj that has some piston slap and the engine only has 30,000 on it.

Another knocking that falls just about in the same frequency range as piston slap is a bad water pump. My 95 has piston slap, and the water pump practically went to pieces before I realized that that was what was making it "seem a little louder than usual."

Piston slap by itself should lessen a little when you speed up, and often gets better when the engine is hotter and the pistons have expanded.

Back