• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The optimum setup: Tire Size, and Lift for all around versatility.

mj-barton

NAXJA Forum User
What you consider the optimum setup with tire size and lift? The setup should be the most versital in conditions like:
- rock crawling
- mudding
- roll-over height
- stability
- performance
- durability
- safety
- ground clearance
- traction
- durability
- efficiency
- etc....

The opinions could vary. Hopefully I can narrow it down and conduct a poll?

Is this a daily driver? If so, I'd go 4 - 4.5" lift, 33s, D44 rear, locked front and rear, alloy shafts, 4.56 or 4.88s (not sure yet). At least that is my plans this time..........

agree with jnj, 4-4.5 and plenty of cutting w/33s

4", 33's locked front and rear, bumpers with decent approach and departure and make the bottoms of the axles and cross member as smooth/strong as possible.

I just got back from Moab rode in a rig that almost fits that bill (needs new bumpers now ;))

Ran some of the toughest rated trails-no bypasses kept up with everything that we ran into (even did better than some of the rigs we ran into). Almost the same setup on it last year and he ran the rubicon, the only thing he ever breaks are the stock rear drive shafts (about $15 ea at the pap).

And it's really pretty too
:wierd:
IMG_0233.JPG

JnJ said:
Is this a daily driver? If so, I'd go 4 - 4.5" lift, 33s, D44 rear, locked front and rear, alloy shafts, 4.56 or 4.88s (not sure yet). At least that is my plans this time..........
What he said. For eexample the 4.5" kit from RE will net slightly more and it's just about right for 33x1250. If you trim right you can stuff the tire all the way up for maxium travel and still retain good outside looks and comfortable ride.
My jeep has that kit (more or less, it was pieced piece by piece with the superflex arms and th e4.5" coils and leaf packs and then has an extra poly spacer up front and an MJ shackle in the rear for the total of about 5.5") with 33x1250's and 4.88's with detroits front and rear. I can still drive it comfortably around town and take it on the trail and beat it up over the weekend.

Now here's the kicker: you mention rock crawling and mudding. Depending how much you are planning to get into one or (and) the other there is a point where one will start excluding the other in a way (as in mod for imrpoving performance in one direction will start to hinder other, for example with rock crawling you will want to go deeper in gears then with mudding)

6"+ with no less than 36's.....it will do most trails and climb any speed bump or curb on the road! ;)

Lots of stuff to consider, but for a very capable, all-around Jeep I'd say;

DPGs 4" Hybrid (lower CoG)
OME shocks
33*12.5*15 on 15*8s w/ 4" backspace
Locked front/rear
4.56/4.88 gears
Armor

I think it's the optimum setup for what I want to do... which is a bit of everything.

DR

no good. considering he had durability on the list twice. w/36's axle upgrades are must, unless its a beater that you trailer and carry spares for. i guess we'll see about that once you grow a pair and hit some rocks :laugh3:

olivedrabcj7 said:
6"+ with no less than 36's.....it will do most trails and climb any speed bump or curb on the road! ;)

36" Swampers, with 4.56s, on stock axles? :rolleyes: Are you ever going to actually wheel Project Poser?

JnJ said:

i agree.. this setup seems to be the best for me.. go anywhere kinda setup but still streetable...

I agree with everyone else basically. 3-4.5 inches, depending on how much you're willing to cut. skids. lockers. gears (4.56 or 4.88 and t-case gears also if it's a manual tranny). 33s (TrXus based on what you described). D44 rear. towpoints/bumpers.

Right now I have an RE 3.5" on 31. I am sure that 33" will fit after lots of cutting but before that I would have to invest in some d44s. Until then what would be an effective way to increase the lift from an RE Superflex 3.5" to 4.5" or 5" of lift. That would allow for plenty of room from 31s. How would 32s hold up on a dana 35?

mj-barton said:
Right now I have an RE 3.5" on 31. I am sure that 33" will fit after lots of cutting but before that I would have to invest in some d44s. Until then what would be an effective way to increase the lift from an RE Superflex 3.5" to 4.5" or 5" of lift. That would allow for plenty of room from 31s. How would 32s hold up on a dana 35?
Which RE 3.5" ? the one with full pack or AAL? Anyways, I don't know about the AAL one but if you have the fullpack and an MJ shackle you can trim the fenders and stuff the 33" tire in.
In regards to the 35 and 32's? I know of someone who broke a shaft in the 35 with stock gears and 32's while trying to climb one rock.

Yes I have the full pack. I will not be switch to anything larger then 31s right now because of axle limitations. If I used an MJ shackles to gain some extra height? Are there other effecient methods? What would I do from the front suspension to gain extra height?

mj-barton said:
Yes I have the full pack. I will not be switch to anything larger then 31s right now because of axle limitations. If I used an MJ shackles to gain some extra height? Are there other effecient methods? What would I do from the front suspension to gain extra height?

Put a 1.25" shackle on and a spacer up front. Voila - now you're running the same height as the RE 4.5" kit without buying new coils.

I did this when I went to 33's from the RE3.5, but the winch and bumper dragged it back down, so I'm going to ZJ coils and RE 4.5 leaves.

mj-barton said:
If anything I'd say get the MJ shackles for the leaf pack to work better. I don't think you'd need any longer shackles as that's going to be more then enough room to stuff 31's.

ya id agree with the general idea of 3-5"s and cutting with 33s, 8.8 or d44 rear, lockers, gears, skids, and learn how to drive. mine went from stock when i got it to 5" and 33s, a smidge of trimming, otherwise basicaly stock, a week after i got it. started wheeling it and getting familiar with it. then i built bumpers, rocker rails, wheeled it more, skids, crossmembers, built long arms, welded the d35 after breaking some teeth off the spiders, wheeled it alot more, got 8.8 after the second D35 boom, welded 8.8, put in a lockright for the d30, went to 35s and am wheelin the piss out of it, o ya and its my daily driver. still need gear and a cage and.............. mainly just learn to wheel it, im not the best driver in the world, but i hate seeing lifted rubicons on the trails that the drivers dont know their elbow from there...u joint. i kinda miss when i was on 33s and pretty much stock besides the lift, everything was ALOT more challenging but i like the way it is now.

kolby

4.5-5" with 32's was my favorite setup for all around performance.

I could wheel some nice trails, or jump in it and run cross country.

Back