• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with 2-3" lift keep their stock tire size?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently thinking of this option. I want to do the 2-3" OME lift, and possibly keep the stock 225/70/16 tire size my '01 came with, but maybe upgrading to BFG A/T's. I'm hesitant about changing tire size, because I don't want to lose any performance/acceleration/mileage, and I really don't want to pay for new gears right now.

Anyone out there go with this type of setup (2-3" w/stock tire size)? How does it perform offroad? I won't be doing anything extreme, just some trails and stuff.

Got any pics?

i have a 3" lift right now on my 93 and have 31s. too be honest i didnt notice a lot of difference in power, but a little. you could go with some 30x9.50 bfg at which would be pretty good for both the road and wheeling or just throw on some 31s, work fine for me.

The XJ looks fine with a 2" lift and stock tires.
The bigggest limit of stock size rubber is that it simply does not have enough sidewall to let the tires conform to the terrain. Beyond that for "mild" wheeling it's more the tread pattern than the tire size.

I have a 2" lift and Bridgstone Dueler Revo (mainly for the street) in the stock 225 75R15 size. I go offroading almost every weekend here in the deserts of Las Vegas and have never been stuck or not been able to get up anything that I have tried. Just this last weekend we were out with a lot of TJ's that were lifted, 33", lockers, etc. and they thought they were cool climbing this hill and when they saw that I was going to try it they were like.....stock tires, 2" lift, and open diff, good luck. I had no problems! A lifted rubicon had to back down and engage the lockers! It was great. I still plan on going with 30" when the time is right, though.

I think a 2" bb and mildly aggressive 235's are a great package for mild offroad and daily driving use. The stock suspension is just too low in my opinion, and just 2" lift improves the capability alot. A upsize to 235's or 30's AT's will give you alittle more clearance and traction without power lose or driveability issues. Add some sway bar discos, heavier duty shocks, some skids, tow points, and maybe a limited slip and you have quite a offroad machine.

I'm definately going to do the discos, tow points, a rear locker/limited slip, etc. I'll probably go with the 2" OME lift.

When you guys say 235's, which are you talking about...235/70/15, 235/75/15, 235/70/16, or 235/75/16?

I have 225/70/16's right now.

I am running a 3" RE lift with the 235/75/15 around town. My gas mileage dropped about 1 MPG because of the excess wind drag. I keep the 31s for the trails. The performance doesn't suffer so much as the mileage. Make sure you skidplate the vitals. I have the engine/tranny/t-case skids. Get some control arm skids, tank skid and even some diff skids for extra protection.

fordtech said:
I think a 2" bb and mildly aggressive 235's are a great package for mild offroad and daily driving use. The stock suspension is just too low in my opinion, and just 2" lift improves the capability alot. A upsize to 235's or 30's AT's will give you alittle more clearance and traction without power lose or driveability issues. Add some sway bar discos, heavier duty shocks, some skids, tow points, and maybe a limited slip and you have quite a offroad machine.

X2

I got 2" and 235/75r-15 with open diffs and it does really good for mild wheeling. One of the big things is to get an aggressive AT. I just had Firestone Wilderness Ats and they werent very good off road at all but a few months ago I got Cooper Discoverer ATs and they made a big difference.

You just gotta watch out on some obstacles so you dont rip your exhaust off.

Dean

i am running a Daystar BB (coil spacers and shackles, and 1" lift blocks in back), and 245/70-16 Wrangler SR-A(off of a Limited) on my 2k Sport. No rubbing from wheeling on fun easy stuff, and VERY mild rubbing on full left turns. I think they come in just under 30's.

I have about 10k miles left in them, then i am going to a 245-75-16 MT. Not anticipating any problems.

Rob

japril said:
I have a 2" lift and Bridgstone Dueler Revo (mainly for the street) in the stock 225 75R15 size. I go offroading almost every weekend here in the deserts of Las Vegas and have never been stuck or not been able to get up anything that I have tried. Just this last weekend we were out with a lot of TJ's that were lifted, 33", lockers, etc. and they thought they were cool climbing this hill and when they saw that I was going to try it they were like.....stock tires, 2" lift, and open diff, good luck. I had no problems! A lifted rubicon had to back down and engage the lockers! It was great. I still plan on going with 30" when the time is right, though.

personal experience tells me that if you learn to wheel in a limited (meaning basically stock) vehicle it really helps learn finess on getting over obsticles other than having a very capable rig and not knowing how to drive it. IMO not saying every one is like that but have seen some that are

Back