• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping and Lodging info

Grant

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
Hello all,
Well the snow is falling with less frequency in the high country which means a lot of the campgrounds are starting to get ready for the summer of 2004. I have finally made contact with a few people who have been in hibernation since October, and our plans for CO 2004 are nearing final stages.

We have found two new and exciting camping spots for our adventure in August. Of course those of you with favourite camp spots or motels will still be able to utilize those in August but we think the new campgrounds will be an improvement over those we have used before (the campsite for Buena Vista should be a huge improvement over the one we used in 2002)

So stay tuned to this thread for the details. Campground details will be posted by Wed 4/21/04 ( a little later than originally promised). Trail runs will be up by 4/23/04 although they will not finalized until closer to the event.

Look for a sign up sheet to be posted next week too.

This event is going to a whole lot of fun, the suspense is almost over, the planning is virtually complete, get those XJ's ready, NAXJA is coming to Colorado.

Grant

My second attempt at posting this info - I know I suck at the interweb.

Here is the lodging info for the CO adventure in 2004.

Officially the event will run from Sunday August 8 until saturday August 14, 2004. The week will be divided into two portions.

August 8 - August 11 - Ouray/Ridgway, located in the SW part of the state.

August 11 - August 14 - Buena Vista/Nathrop, centrally located in CO.

Ouray/Ridgway

The NAXJA headquarters will be at Ridgway State park, located approx. 12 miles north of the town of Ouray, approx. 20 miles south of Montrose. The park is located around a large reservoir and contains a full service marina, boats are welcome.

Bookings can be made in several ways
- through the internet, try the link located on the following page, http://parks.state.co.us/default.asp?parkID=88&action=park
(if that link does not work then try - //parks.state.co.us and select Ridgway from the list of available parks.) The "Book Campsite Now" link is about halfway down the page.
- telephone, 800-678-2267 (out of Denver area) or 303-470-1144 (inside Denver)

Make sure to request a camping site in the "Elk Ridge" area. Ridgway has no specific group camping sites, but they will do their best to accomodate us in the same area if we request "Elk Ridge" - you may also wish to inform them that you will be part of the NAXJA group.

Should you have specific questions regarding the marina, they can be contacted directly at 970-626-5094. (DO NOT call this number to make camping reservations)

Ridgway State Park also has 3 yurts that will sleep up to 6 people each available for $60 per night. If you have questions regarding the yurts please contact Ridgway Park direct at 970-626-5822 (DO NOT call this number to make camping reservations)

Note - the reservation system is a centrally located system for ALL CO state parks, they will not be able to answer specfic questions about Ridgway park itself.

Other OURAY lodging options.

try http://www.ouraycolorado.com/ and click on the "lodging" page. There are a variety of motels, and cabins available in the area.

BUENAVISTA/NATHROP - August 11 - 14

The second portion of the NAXJA CO event will be held around the Buena Vista area, which is centrally located in CO. We have found a campground that will be a great headquarters for the NAXJA crew (a definite improvement over the 2002 site)

Camping info - Chalkcreek campground, is located on Chalk Creek in Nathrop. This used to be called Brown's campground. There is a group site reserved for NAXJA, that will accomodate between 20 and 30 campers. Cost is $7/per person/day. There will be a NAXJA representative who will collect the money from you for camping at the start of the BV portion of the event.

DO NOT MAKE CAMPING RESERVATIONS FOR CHALK CREEK IF YOU WILL BE IN THE GROUP SITE. The group site is already reserved for NAXJA.

Chalk Creek campground also has two 5th wheel campers available for hire (no cabins). The campers will accomodate 4 guests and cost $60 night plus $5 per person. The larger/newer camper costs $70/night plus $5 per person. Reservations for the campers must be made directly with Chalk Creek campground - 800-643-9727.

Website is located at - http://www.chalkcreek-campground.com/

DO NOT MAKE CAMPING RESERVATIONS FOR CHALK CREEK IF YOU WILL BE IN THE GROUP SITE. If you wish to be seperate from the group you will need to make individual camping reservations, if you want to rent one of the campers, contact the campground direct.

Other Buena Vista lodging info
try the following link for info on other accomodation options for the BV portion of the trip. BV is located about 8 miles north of Lathrop. BV is a small high plains town that contains most types of stores. NAPA, Carquest, City Market, Tomken Machine.

http://buenavistacolorado.org/lodging.asp

Trail info

Trails info for the CO Adventure

Ouray/Ridgway - august 8 to 11
I am sure some NAXJA members will gather in Ridgway on Saturday aug 7th. No activities are planned for this day. Our first trail runs will be held on Sunday August 8th.

Trails to be run on Aug 8, 9, and 10 will include
Yankee Boy Basin (recreation fee and tree huggers dependant)
Imogene Pass
Black Bear Pass
Engineer Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch and others

all the above trails would rate easy, they can be traversed by a stock vehicle in reasonable conditions. However the CO high country can add a few levels of difficulty due to the narrow roads and steep drops offs, and the altitude can affect our flat lander friends too. The scenery is absolutely outstanding, these are some of the best trails in the nation.

Of course I am not forgetting our more adventurous buddies either. Montrose is just a short drive to the north of Ridgway. Trails like Die Tryin need no explanation. Montrose trails rate as "extreme" - body damage certain. Some real challenges await those brave enough to attempt these trails.

Buena Vista/Nathrop August 11 - August 14

August 11 will be a travel day between Ouray and BV. The drive is very scenic and can be planned to pass through Gunnison, or alternatively a route can be planned over some scenic mountain passes that are unpaved.

The drive can take between 3 and 6 hours.

The following trails will be run while in the BV area.

Taylor and Pearl pass, Italian Creek. Depending on summer snow levels. A very scenic all day drive, I would rate this as easy/medium. A stock vehicle may require a strap in a few places.

Holy Cross - an overnight trip, for those who want to camp, otherwise the trail can be driven in a single day - for those who prefer hotels. Holy Cross rates a difficult, which means that 33's and a locker would be minimum requirements. Above the city is "extreme" - Goatman was the only one to drive Cleveland rock in 2002.

Mt Antero - drive to 13000 feet. See three seperate mountain ranges. A "medium" trail

Iron Chest - recently graded, we do not know if this trail will be restored in time for our August adventure, but if the trail is open we will be driving it. Rated "hard/difficult".

Chinaman's gulch - a trail for all vehicles, the difficult spots have bypasses. Everyone has fun on this trail.

Carnage Canyon - not for the faint of heart. This is CO's newest "extreme" trail. Body damage certain. Winch and two lockers required. An extremely difficult trail for those of us brave or fool hardy enough to attempt it.

There are numerous trails in this area. They all have some form of challenge so whether you have a stock XJ or a "wild one" you will have fun. We have two trails that are so new they are not in the guide books - we await the owner's permission for NAXJA to use the trails in August.

Also located in BV is the Tomken Machine shop. They would be happy to show us around there if we wish.

other trails that may be run.
Wheeler Lake
Tomichi Pass
Mosquito pass
Webster and Redcone pass

I will be putting a small trail guide together for the BV part of the event. there will be official NAXJA runs every day, but you will be free to run any of the other trails should you so wish.

Grant

Excellent writeup, Grant. That is a lot of work done to get to this stage. A thank you for now, and a beer for later. :cheers:

Nay

Good choice at Ridgeway. When I'm in that area I generally camp on the other side of Owl Creek Pass, but this is much more convenient to the runs off of 550. Thanks for all of the details, Grant.

Word to the wise for tent campers - I just made a reservation in the Elk Ridge Loop and there were only a few tent sites left for that time period (Aug 7 - 10). If you know you're going, I wouldn't put it off.

Looking forward to it, unless my job search is successful between now and then. But, I figure I can't lose in any event: either a regular paycheck to fund future CO/UT trips, or a run to CO this summer! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
Word to the wise for tent campers - I just made a reservation in the Elk Ridge Loop and there were only a few tent sites left for that time period (Aug 7 - 10). If you know you're going, I wouldn't put it off.

Mike in NJ :patriot:
True story!
I made reservations yesterday and some of the spots were already gone.
Come on August! :clap:

Don't worry though if you don't make Elk Ridge, I think there are over 320 camping sites, there will be enough space for everyone. I realize that Ridgway puts the NAXJA HQ a little further for those using Motels and B&B's but i think the camping will be much nicer. August in CO can be quite hot and a cool dip in the water will be great at the end of a day on the trail. I may even drag the boat, cough - barge - cough, out to the reservoir.

A little over 4 months now.

I made my res this week as well and it seemed like I had my choice of RV spots. If they run out of tent spots; rent an RV one($4 nite more), most have shade and then you'll have electricity too.

Hey Grant, is there gonna be a sign-up for Chalk Creek so ya know how many's coming? Put me on the list with an RV. Thx

3 months, 6 days to go..........

And finally; is anybody else having trouble with 'smileys'? I cant get any to work or get the "more" page to open. Used to work......

Whew! Good write up! Im getting excited! :D :cheers:

hey Grant,
what time do you want to meet or head out on Sunday?
will you have a sign-up board for the different runs?

i plan on staying in Montrose and driving down to Ridgway each morning,
just don't want to be late for the runs.

how may rigs you think will show up?

Warthog said:
hey Grant,
what time do you want to meet or head out on Sunday?
will you have a sign-up board for the different runs?

i plan on staying in Montrose and driving down to Ridgway each morning,
just don't want to be late for the runs.

how may rigs you think will show up?

There will be a sign up thread in the next couple of weeks. We still need to pre-run the trails so there is no definite trail schedule as yet, and there won't be one until mid-July when we can run some of the trails at higher elevation, but stay tuned in this forum for that info when it is ready.

No numbers yet but I expect 15 to 20 rigs for the Ouray portion, and about 10 more for the BV part. We will have a better idea after the sign up thread is posted, mid-June (about 6 weeks to go).

Staying in Montrose is fine, so is Ouray, and we will have a trail list posted, so you will be able to meet the other XJ's at the trailhead if you wish. But that list will be posted mid-July and will be subject to revision until the last minute - it is CO after all, and the weather can change things quickly.

HTH

Grant said:
There will be a sign up thread in the next couple of weeks. We still need to pre-run the trails so there is no definite trail schedule as yet, and there won't be one until mid-July when we can run some of the trails at higher elevation, but stay tuned in this forum for that info when it is ready.

No numbers yet but I expect 15 to 20 rigs for the Ouray portion, and about 10 more for the BV part. We will have a better idea after the sign up thread is posted, mid-June (about 6 weeks to go).

Staying in Montrose is fine, so is Ouray, and we will have a trail list posted, so you will be able to meet the other XJ's at the trailhead if you wish. But that list will be posted mid-July and will be subject to revision until the last minute - it is CO after all, and the weather can change things quickly.

HTH

Have I missed the sign up thread? Jeep should be read in the next couple of weeks, and I wanted to do both CO and Rubicon. Well, I signed up, but meant, are there updates/changes I need to be aware of?

Last edited:
grant: i'll likely be driving out to BV on weds (11th) after work... is there a cutoff point in terms of check-in time for chalkcreek? you planning on collecting money upon check-in or check-out?

looks to be about 2.5 hours from denver-- i'll be racing against the sun so i won't have to set up my tent in the dark!

looking forward to it.

Back