• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Road Adoption! Run 3/17

Re: New Road Adoption!

Is this road always open? This is the first I've heard of it. Looks like it could be a fun little testing ground not too far from my place. I'm more than happy to help!

Monument Peak (5,290 ft.)

"Named by the San Bernardino Historical Society in 1931 when it placed a monument in honor of Padre Francisco Tomas Hermenegildo Garces (1738-81). Garces blazed the first (and nearly waterless) trail across the Colorado Desert (1771). It was cursed as "El Camino del Diablo", and later was known as the "Old Spanish Trail". Garces accompanied the expedition of Juan Bautista de Anza (1735-88), and described the view from this summit in his diary (1776). The marker has since been destroyed by motorized vandals. Name first appears on USFS San Bernardino National Forest map (1965).

Edit: Note that this is from a Sierra Club website... Notice how they claim the monument was destroyed by "motorized vandals".

Has anyone prerun the trail?
What kind of tools do we need to bring?

This is mainly a reconnaissance run to get familiar with the trail and for the SBNF OHV program manager to point out any special issues that we will have to address during maintenance.

I will have my chainsaw with me, along with a few basic hand tools. If you have a pair of loppers or pruning shears those may come in handy.

Trail comms will be with HAM radio cause my CB isn't working right now for some reason.

Is this road always open? This is the first I've heard of it. Looks like it could be a fun little testing ground not too far from my place. I'm more than happy to help!

Yes.

That way you don't have to involve me... not that my CB works that great, but it works way better than the HAM I don't have!

Carol I have a 2m mobile radio in Hot Lips and two HTs that I could loan out for the day.

Get your ticket dammit!

Carol I have a 2m mobile radio in Hot Lips and two HTs that I could loan out for the day.

Get your ticket dammit!

My ticket? Nah, I let Alden get those.

Unless they're the cool incentive raffle tickets we're getting for being involved in the AAT program... Those are mine... Though Alden will get one too, for coming along and helping out. So if I bring Eddie the four-footed fur flinger, does he get a ticket too?

Karen's probably going to loan me her HT, so I'll have it for AAT & for the SoCalXJ Jambo the following weekend, so she can find me out there in the afternoon... but bring yours just in case, please!

Last edited:
I will be skipping breakfast at Dennys.

See at the trailhead at 9am on Sunday.

I want to thank everyone that attended the run yesterday. YOU are keeping the trails open on the SBNF. I'll post up a more detailed report and pictures this evening.

Back