• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to lift or not to lift that is the question

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
Before you start flaming me for not searching, I have read stuff until my eyes bleed and my head hurts.

Anyway, here is my current dilema. I have an '01 with the upcountry package, skids + 1" lift. Bought some 245/75/16 mt/r's on moab wheels. Put said wheels on, they rub a little off road on the fender flares. So I start thinking about maybe doing a 2" shackle lift with spacers up front. I don't want to go any more than that. This is more of a DD than anything else with some mild trail riding. Even though I really like the looks and ride of these tires/wheels, I would rather go back to a smaller tire different set of wheels than have to add an endless stream of upgrades. So here is the part that I would like some clarification on.

I start reading stuff about needing as SYE due to vibration on the late models even with a mild 3" lift. Yes, no, maybe, I've seen all 3 answers.

New LCA or brackets? Have seen all of these suggested as well.

And of course there are more products out there than I can decipher.

Anyway, I guess I'm really looking for feedback from those of you with the later models and a similar 3" lift setup and what issues you have had or not had. All help is appreciated.

Anyway, here is my current dilema. I have an '01 with the upcountry package, skids + 1" lift. Bought some 245/75/16 mt/r's on moab wheels. Put said wheels on, they rub a little off road on the fender flares.

Add one inch of bump stop in the front and/or trim your fender flares a little.

i'm running almost the same specs. up country package with teraflex spacer/shackle and 245/75/16's. i've gone all over the place with this set up; now i haven't done any hardcore rockcrawling-as it's not my thing, but i have never once failed to get where i was going. i really need to get my rockrails on to feel totally comfortable in rocks. this has worked out well enough that lift plans have taken a back seat to other stuff for now. re-gearing, getting my d44 in, lockers, rails on, etc. have taken priority over increased height. mine is a dd as well.

Add one inch of bump stop in the front and/or trim your fender flares a little.

yep. mine hardly rub at all. with a little trimming/bumpstopping i could fit 265's with no problem. which i may do here shortly.
also, with about-three-inches of lift on a '96, i don't have any vibes at all. my only real bitch is the lack of travel in the stock trackbar at this height, but i'll deal with that eventually.

Last edited:
yep. mine hardly rub at all. with a little trimming/bumpstopping i could fit 265's with no problem. which i may do here shortly.
also, with about-three-inches of lift on a '96, i don't have any vibes at all. my only real bitch is the lack of travel in the stock trackbar at this height, but i'll deal with that eventually.

Yeah,but you have a -96 model which has more room in the flares than a 97+.

Back