NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 17:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Best type of LED lights for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymaci View Post
Ya the beam pattern is super sucky, like there is no beams. Like driving in the fog always
Get rid of those housings and get a good e-code. Auto pal, Hella, Cibie. All better than those. I prefer Cibies myself, but they aren't the cheapest. Then get a upgraded headlight harness. Then some good bulbs. And then correctly aim the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
I'm all about LED Lights (soon to be a vendor myself ), but would be too afraid to run LED's for headlights considering my luck, I'd break one. As well, unless the LED headlights have a built in heater, it can suck to have to scrape your lights since LED's won't put off the heat that regular bulbs will.
That and I am not convinced that they can replicate a halogen bulb well enough to keep a decent beam pattern.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 18:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymaci View Post
Thanks, I did buy some aftermarket, supposedly bright headlights a few years back, so I'm not sure if it's remove able bulb or not, also is there a kit for the wiring harness upgrade? Maybe that would help my existing lights, I think I'm going to get Olympus pod lights with the covers,yellow should make on the street use acceptable?, that I can also use off-road. If I have plug in in type bulbs I'll go Led that route too
For what its worth. My Olympus headlights smoke my 16w olympus pods with the yellow lenses. I point the pods outwards a bit. Can see the deer hangin' out on the side of the road better. I always turn them off for oncoming drivers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Back when my XJ wasn't yet a buggy, I did an upgraded harness, with E-Code housings and Hella 90/80 bulbs (or whatever it is near that).

HELL of a difference.

I'm all about LED Lights (soon to be a vendor myself ), but would be too afraid to run LED's for headlights considering my luck, I'd break one. As well, unless the LED headlights have a built in heater, it can suck to have to scrape your lights since LED's won't put off the heat that regular bulbs will.

Here in CO that can be a rather daily issue...
I have driven my truck with the LED headlights every time it has snowed thus far this year. Hasn't been an issue and all of my customers agree.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 18:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus Off Road View Post
I have driven my truck with the LED headlights every time it has snowed thus far this year. Hasn't been an issue and all of my customers agree.
Fair enough.

It just seems to be the thing I see 99% of guys with TJ/LJ/JKs bitch about with those headlights (them getting iced over).

I haven't run them myself, just relaying what seems to be the biggest issue I've heard of.

Maybe I'd run them in the buggy or DD XJ if Truck-Lite didn't want an absolutely obscene amount of money for them.

For that money a retrofit HID kit into some XJ headlights would be far more worth it.

I've yet to see an LED headlight in person match a good HID kit, even Truck-Lite's.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:26
NAXJA Forum User

X2 on getting new headlights,fix the problem. Basically my wife is looking for Xmas gift ideas so the pod lights are easy, and I could use them. I'll dig into the headlight option. Do they come with new wiring harness on the xj side? What does the harness consist of? Will I be taking the wiring out of the factory harness and running a seperate circuit and power?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:31
NAXJA Forum User

Best type of LED lights for driving

I just upgraded to Truck-Lite headlights last week and I am thrilled with their performance so far. My other ride (GTI) has bi-xenon HIDs so driving the XJ in the dark was misery with my stock lights. We haven't had a big snow/ice since I installed them so I can't speak for their winter performance yet, but as far as visibility goes its flat-out amazing. I paid $360 for the pair which obviously isn't cheap, but if you have toy money to blow they are worth looking into I assure you.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

I live in northeast Ohio by the way... so there will be plenty of ice and snow for me to provide a better review sooner or later. So far the little bit of snow/frost has had zero effect... no build-up/freeze-over.
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:19
NAXJA Member

I have the same clear housings loaded with -PIAA 15224 H4's- and an upgraded harness. I am very happy with the light output and pattern
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:41
NAXJA Member

Ok, So I have no idea what housings I have (came on the jeep) I believe they are H4s. Anyone able to confirm this? Also will the LED bulbs from Olympus fit in this housing? Its hard to see but these have Daytime Running Lights and I dont want to loose them if I have to replace the housings. Center section is like a soccer ball shape.
Will there be a marking on them telling me the brand? I have never taken them out to see if the bulbs are removable.

Sorry, this is the best pic I can find.

Old December 4th, 2014, 16:27
NAXJA Forum User

I went the upgraded light route first and wasn't satisfied until I did this: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
Old December 4th, 2014, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae racer View Post
Ok, So I have no idea what housings I have (came on the jeep) I believe they are H4s.
They take H4 bulbs, but they have a crap beam pattern. Cheap ebay "crystal" garbage. Putting any different bulb is not going to fix them, just make them worse and add glare. You want to see? Replace them.
Old December 4th, 2014, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke2230 View Post
I went the upgraded light route first and wasn't satisfied until I did this: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
Now that is solid info right there. Basically robbing switched power from the factory headlight system to switch on the relays, and supply direct battery power to the new lights. Makes sense, I'm going to run a main power from the post to this fused gang section, will also be able to run my onboard air pump as well
Old December 5th, 2014, 23:47
NAXJA Forum User

Back when I had my XJ, the first thing I did was get rid of the crappy stock headlights and got a set of sylvania silver star sealed beam halogen replacements. They made a huge difference. I also added factory fog lights and they also helped increase the light output.

I never replaced the harness but when I get another jeep I will try that too.
Old December 6th, 2014, 15:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
They take H4 bulbs, but they have a crap beam pattern. Cheap ebay "crystal" garbage. Putting any different bulb is not going to fix them, just make them worse and add glare. You want to see? Replace them.
+1

When I first got my Jeep the headlights sucked. I got some KCs and tied them in with my high beams. That helped, but I still had to turn them off for oncoming drivers. I added factory style fog lights and those helped a bit. The best thing I did was get some IPF H4 housings, Hella H4 90/130 watt bulbs, and upgraded wiring harness. That made more of a difference than the fog and KC lights combined. I wish I had done that first. I can guarantee you will be happier upgrading your stock headlights compared to just adding some LED pod lights on your Jeep.
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

Autopals housings, eautoworks harness and sylvania ultra stars here and its pretty bright, no problems at night.
Old December 15th, 2014, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone know the difference between Candlepower and Lumens, when rating brightness of a lights output? Does Lumens apply to LEDs only? I'll post a few pictures of a Baja Design 10" rated at 4200 lumens @ 100% power output.