NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 15th, 2010, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Beginning of 1993 Cheromanche build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92cherokee View Post
Congrats to goblazers for being the first to say it'll fold like a taco was waiting to see who'd say it first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Mike View Post
The term "fold like a taco" should be made into a smiley that automatically changes to hasta.
haha! what's he get a kick in the nuts?

is this thing done yet?
Old August 15th, 2010, 23:02
NAXJA Forum User

I honestly think you just destroyed two perfectly good vehicles.

The uni-rails between the XJ and MJ are totally different. You may want to check with your local DMV. It is highly illegal in most states to splice two vehicles together and run them on the public highways.

Kudos to you if you pull this off.
Old August 15th, 2010, 23:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyluvv View Post
I honestly think you just destroyed two perfectly good vehicles.
I have to agree with that.
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyluvv View Post
The uni-rails between the XJ and MJ are totally different.

Not entirely. The first few feet below the front floor boards, it's all the same. The MJ's floor pan rises and the uni-rails get taller as it goes back under the seats to the rear of the cab.

Kittrell and I did some fairly detailed research into what it'd take to join the front half of a '97+ to an MJ and there is an area where the cut would actually line up between the two perfectly. This required leaving the MJ roof intact and joining the front at the "A" pilars. Blending roof panels would be quite a bit of work.

However, the project in this thread is not going to be attempting to keep just the two stock doors - or so it appears. So, yeah, the cut lines are gonna need some extensive metal work.

End of Watch: Jeffco: MC1, 1312 & 0369. Yucca-Man 1215...... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:40
NAXJA Forum User

Yah I'm going to be using the front part of the MJ floor as the frame rails are the same as the XJ. If I have to for strength I'll cut out the floor at the top of the rails and drop a piece of box steel in there and weld it in for strength at the seam between the two as well as the angle on the outside. The floor pan and trans tunnel will be completely cut out of the MJ and remolded with some new metal as well as taking out the metal pieces on the MJ floor that run above the frame so it smooths the floor out more.
Old August 16th, 2010, 19:45
NAXJA Member

From there forward, minus the extra bracing you see, the rails are the same.
Old August 16th, 2010, 19:54
NAXJA Forum User

subscribed...

even if some folks don't like it i think it looks like a hoot and screw the DMV.
Old August 16th, 2010, 19:57
NAXJA Forum User

Thankfully the county I live in the DMV is real lax just like the local law enforcement so getting it titled and registered won't be any problem, there's also no emissions so it give me time to get everything taken care of.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:23
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I was going to say this looked like a complete waste of an MJ that appears to be mostly rust free.

BUT if you do it well, it'll be awesome. I personally would shorten up those rear doors a bit, it looks goofy long and you're going to end up with all kinds of difficulties making doors that look good on it. If you can find a way to shorten the doors up a bit more and add a sort of mini-window on the body behind the rear door frame (using cut XJ glass maybe? with the body lines set to follow what would have been the C-pillar on the XJ so the rear edge of the door still matches the lines of the rear door window instead of being at a different angle like that red one) I think it will look great.

There's a lot of other stuff changed on the uniframe rails too but it is mostly add-ons. The tranny crossmember has two braces added that it mounts to, they are either bolted or welded to the sides of the frame rails and 4 bolts hold the "extra" 4 holes on the crossmember (which aren't used on an XJ) to the braces. Also the LCA mounts have an extra skid/bracket/brace welded onto the outside of the frame rail. None of this should really affect you much.

I would also say do dual transmissions or dual transfer cases, though I suspect this is going to end up as a street rig not a wheeler.

If I had the time and money I would build one as it is I will live vicariously through you and hope you succeed.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:35
Member Number 257

Wow! GL! Looking foward to the finished product.
Old August 17th, 2010, 13:57
NAXJA Member

I almost feel obligated to post this. Still not quite sure what length you are after here, but this is what it would look like with the stock short bed and a proportionally sized rear door.

Old August 17th, 2010, 15:05
NAXJA Forum User

i think that is f'n beautiful ^^^ isnt that a chop tho?
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:06
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

yep...fairly certain the guy who did it is the one who just posted it.

When I win the lottery the first thing I do is quit my job and the second is start building one of those
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 17th, 2010, 17:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
I almost feel obligated to post this. Still not quite sure what length you are after here, but this is what it would look like with the stock short bed and a proportionally sized rear door.

This is what I've had as the desktop background on my home, work, travel computer for the past 4 months. Once I got the MJ I immediately started stripping it down and measuring things to see how well it'll line up. This picture is the one that got me building this and I might even be painting it a blue close to the color in the picture. Kastein this will be a street only rig as I've got a thread going in the street and performance forum talking about the tech with lowering it a couple of inches as what to do with track bar and sway bar and things like that.
Old August 17th, 2010, 18:22
NAXJA Forum User

This is what I am shooting for