NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: All my ring gear bolts fell out

Subbing because... well, all of your ring gear bolts fell out.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:19
NAXJA Forum User

Having done a number of gear sets I can say I have seen this before. 2 things come to mind here. Bolts need to be the correct length and shouldered for shear strength. Many aftermarket carriers have different dimensions on the gear shelf . I had an ARB once where we measured the bolt (which came in the master install kit) to actually only bed into the gear a bit less than a quarter inch (not enough bite!). Second thing is don't use the kit supplied loctite. Go buy the real deal.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 14:11
NAXJA Forum User

Awhile back I came across the following thread on Pirate about loose ring gear bolts. It applies specifically to 9" rear ends and bolts working their way loose but perhaps there is something in here worth reading:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ear-bolts.html
Old December 3rd, 2019, 17:09
NAXJA Forum User

I had a local shop install used 4:10s out of the junk yard in my dana35. I didnt have a lot of money. Didbt see the point of a install kit. They did the work, told me I was being short sided. Tolded me what likely happen. Well, a few weeks later, a bolt back out and poked a hole in the diff cover.

I went to the the next day. Bough new ring bolts...
..I got the look. I went home, replaced the bolts. Fixed the dif cover.

I know I was wrong and it was not there fault.

What am I getting at? They more then likely reused the factory bolts or installed the bolts wrong
Old December 5th, 2019, 11:15
NAXJA Forum User

This is as simple as the installer didn't use Loctite and likely didn't properly torque the bolts.
I have been a gear installer since 1996 and have never had this happen. Literally thousands of setups under my belt. I have repaired the resulting damage from previous installers not using threadlocker. Happens a lot unfortuneately.
Old December 5th, 2019, 19:51
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, so 4 wheel parts finally responded, and told me to just call the store for service. I found that new ring gear bolts solved my issue. Apparently the thread in the ring gear are still usable. I used the 27200 Permatex red thread locker and torqued to 50 ft-lbs (I didnt want to strip out the holes)
Old Yesterday, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

Drove the Jeep around the block and on the freeway. It seems fine now with the new ring gear bolts. So ghetto. I really can't believe that I was driving this heavy little Jeep with so little holding the ring gear in there! My last weighing of the Jeep was 4825 lbs with 1/8 tank of fuel.

I'm tempted to check the front differential also. Luckily I have a lockout hub conversion, so it isn't really a big deal, but when I go 4 wheeling I'd prefer to not worry about this stuff.

Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions, happy trails!