• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Engine swap

Art Garcia

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks!

My XJ 93 motor is not working anymore. It's a 4.0L with automatic transmission.

Iwant to replace the entire engine with a "new one" I can afford from a Yonke.

May I use one from a 2001 XJ? if yes what another thinks must I need? (computer fuel inyection sistem, etc.)

If the swap with a 2001 engine it's difficult, wich is the newer Xj motor may I use?

If you had made this in the past, please let me know your experience.

Thanks for your HELP.

Art Garcia

Everything up to 96 should be a straight swap. I you go past, you will need almost everything out of the newer donor XJ.

Thanks Imma!

If I use a Pre 96 what intake may I use Mine or new? is the computer the same? pleaseexpalin with more detail

all the blocks are basically the same.

if you can, keep your head, the 90-96 heads have larger exhaust ports and better flow numbers.

you just have to swap sensors from one motor to the other, along with possibly the distributor and flywheel. the 2001 won't have a distributor, but there is a plug covering the hole, and you should be able to put one in (replace the oil pump drive gear with the distributor)

you can use the 2001 head, just remove the coil packs and install the distributor.

I wouldn't reccomend trying to retrofit an OBDII computer (like the 2001) into ANYTHING. it's more of a headache then it's worth.

To add to what has already been written:

There are three basic "generations" of the 4.0L engine. 1987 through 1990 was the first. This used the Renault-Bendix (Renix) fuel injection system and is not compliant with on-board diagnostics (OBD).

Second was the 1991 through 1995 High Output (HO) version. This uses a Chrysler injection system and is OBD-I compliant.

1996 through 2001 is a newer Chrysler injection and computer ystem that is OBD-II compliant.

The engine itself is basically the same in all years, or close enough to the same that any year can be put in any vehicle. The intake ports were moved higher in the head beginning in 1991, so to use a complete early long block (complete engine) in yours would require modifying the manifolds.

The most direct fits for your '92 will be a 1991 through 1995 engine. You can certainly use a 2001 engine. You should use your old manifolds and fuel injection system. The newer intake manifold might work with some adapting. A small problem you will encounter with a 2001 engine is that your '92 has the temperature sensor for the gauge located in the rear corner of the head. The 2001 OBD-II system uses the sensor in the thermostat housing to send data to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module -- the vehicle computer), and the PCM sends a signal to the gauge. So the 2001 head will not have a way to operate your temperature gauge.

Thanks Eagle!

Your explanation is a breazze! take note my XJ es a 93 not 94. I think that don't change nothing isn't?

Art

Hey, if you're going to go through all that work maybe you should get a 258 crank and make it a stroker...:D

Zm OZ, Thanks for your point! Where can I get a 258 Cranck in USA? id this crank computer friendly?

Art.

You can probably get a 258 crank at a junk yard, ebay, parts store, ect. Do a search on this board and others for stroker, you'll find alot of information. Bascially it's just the same crank only the stroke is longer, so you end up with 4.5-4.9 liters depending on how much overbore you have.

ZmOz -- you realize that Art is in Mexico, not the USA, right? Finding a 258 (4.2L) crankshaft might not be as easy for him as it is for us. And then he would be faced with all the other problems of building a stroker.

Art -- Some of use here in the USA are experimenting with combining a crankshaft from a Jeep 4.2L (258 cubic inch) engine with a 4.0L engine block to increase the displacement of the engine. You will be interested to know that the inspiration for this is actually some 4.6 liter engines that were used in Mexican Jeeps about 15 or 20 years ago (VAM). Those engines were never used in the USA.

The stroker engine is a nice idea, but it requires special pistons, and I think in Mexico that would be a problem. (Heck -- it's a problem here. We can get them but most of us can't afford them.)

If you want information about the stroker engine, look at

www.accuratepower.com

Well, he asked where he could find a 258 crank in the USA. He could also probably have things shipped from any of the major companies that make the kit. Here's a kit for $675, I'm sure they would ship to mexico if you paid extra for shipping...
http://www.speedomotive.com/jeep_4.htm

Back