• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Upgrade Ideas

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0 97+ intake AX15 NP231 no lift 33x12.5R15

It is now time for a new PS pump and as all ways it is time to upgrade. I have seen the options for a PSC and a WJ pump. I am also looking to put the 98-99 Durango gear box in at the same time as well as a PS cooler and replacing all the lines.

So my question is which pump to go for?

I have now read both post. The first one is a great write up on explaining the different pumps which is awesome info. I had read the second post before but it seemed to be 50/50 on which to go for. They sound like on one hand (PSC), ita closest in function and sound to stock but more powerful. And on the other hand (WJ) you hand a lot more work, more powerful than the PSC, and the chance of it being whiney.

Correct me if I'm not getting it right.

And on the other hand (WJ) you hand a lot more work, more powerful than the PSC, and the chance of it being whiney.

I now have a V8 WJ pump in both my 88 MJ and my 01 XJ Limited. The 88 was a little bit of work because the mounting changed from the Renix to the HO. I also had to replace the high pressure line on the MJ to get around the reservoir. 97+ High pressure lines are readily available.

The swap in my 2001 was a direct bolt and was no different than replacing the pump with another 4.0L pump.

As for WJ pumps whining, I spent the little extra money on new pumps (MJ from AutoZone & XJ from Rock Auto) and have had zero whining since bleeding all of the air out of the system.

Vast majority of whining comes from trapped air in the system. It took me a little bit to work it all out but it works great now.

Add the pump with the larger steering gear box and it is worlds of a difference. I have a 99 Durango box that I tapped for hydro (not yet hook up) and it's night and day better.

Durango box and WJ pump. Use the XJ fitting on the WJ pump. Bolt up and go. HUGE improvement for me when I did mine.

Do yall recommend boring out the high pressure XJ fitting to match the WJ fitting? Obviously the return line will need to be larger with a bored out fitting.

I now have a V8 WJ pump in both my 88 MJ and my 01 XJ Limited. The 88 was a little bit of work because the mounting changed from the Renix to the HO. I also had to replace the high pressure line on the MJ to get around the reservoir. 97+ High pressure lines are readily available.

The swap in my 2001 was a direct bolt and was no different than replacing the pump with another 4.0L pump.

As for WJ pumps whining, I spent the little extra money on new pumps (MJ from AutoZone & XJ from Rock Auto) and have had zero whining since bleeding all of the air out of the system.

Which brand would you recommend.
W/ Reservoir
BBB/Vision-Oe
Ultra Power
Cardone

W/O reservoir
Omix-Ada

3/16 - 5/32 seems to be the magic size. No bigger than 5/32. To big and the fluid will cavitate because it's moving fluid so fast at low RPMs that it has no resistance at higher RPMs and it's churning air.

Do yall recommend boring out the high pressure XJ fitting to match the WJ fitting? Obviously the return line will need to be larger with a bored out fitting.

No, that will give you problems. Just swap the XJ fitting to the pump and you're golden.

Brand, I'd go Lares, they are at least done here and not a fortune. Get it with the reservoir as you can't swap the XJ one over. Also make sure you close off the additional fittings on the reservoir. Just need some tube and a plug.

Pulley would be the XJ.

I run a WJ pump with Durango box and a PSC overdrive pulley. Turning 35x12.5s no problem on the trail.

For this upgrade can you still use aftermarket coolers?
When my powersteering pump dies I wanna upgrade myself since ill be going to 35s after my 33x10.50s are done.
do you have to swap the steering box out too?

Yes you can run a cooler with any system. Just tie it into the low pressure side. And no you don’t need to replace the steering box. I’d say see how it does with the pump and replace if more power is needed.

Stock pump and remanufactured box store box with 33x12.50s on beadlocks (10-ish psi on some trails) and lunchbox lockers F/R (read: always on). Steering sucked about 40 minutes into a run. Added a 5 row cooler on the low pressure side and good synthetic fluid, steering will slide the whole front of the Jeep away from a rock all day long. Another thing that helps a lot is to stay off the steering stops. You're not turning any harder, just making heat.

Back