• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix cruise control

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
my 88 cruise control is not working. i got this last September and it was missing the blinker stalk with the cruise switches. installed that and it was still dead. tried swapping a new module that i had into it. still did not work. although not 100% sure that module is good. got the FSM out and checked voltage and switch inputs and all checked out.

so basically i think im left with the servo or speed input. am i supposed to get a 12v signal at one of the wires to the servo when the cruise switch when its set to on?

Check your brake switch too. It has 2 sides, one for the brake lights, one for the CC disengage.

You CC speed sensor in inline with the speedo cable right behind the cluster.

The CC will only activate above 45 mph (I think) so checking while parked is a bit tricky.

Mine doesn't work either. :(

yep checked all brake and switch inputs at the CC module. i swapped the speed sensor with the one out of my old 90. i was reading on a generic site that when cruise control is set to on it enables a solenoid in the servo. not sure if thats true or not. i suppose i could try and put a drill on the speed sensor and check for voltages. ill try and check the wires for breaks too.

I am going to cruise this thread for ideas. :read: I do not anyone that has a working one LOL

Yeah, mine worked for the longest time. Then one day, not. The wires on the brake pedal switch broke just like 90's. When I fixed them I was crusin' once more. Then mine would work intermittently. Sometimes OK, sometimes no go. After a while, only no go. Seemed to be a switch problem. All wires from the stalk were OK. I used my handheld vac pump to test the servo. At the time, it was OK as well.

Quite frankly, most of my driving is around the city at 45mph or less with some short tuns on the freeway so the lack of CC wasn't really a big issue.

Perhaps it's time to dive back in.

Does anyone know how the 86 XJ none rinex cruse control worked?
I've been playing with the idea of adding it cause I'm pretty sure the 86 harness I put in has the plugs for Cruise control. But it's the crappy gm v6 carbureted engine.
So I'm not sure what's required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how the 86 XJ none rinex cruse control worked?
I've been playing with the idea of adding it cause I'm pretty sure the 86 harness I put in has the plugs for Cruise control. But it's the crappy gm v6 carbureted engine.
So I'm not sure what's required.

id gather it was the same system as the renix era ones. it has nothing specific to a renix set up.

id gather it was the same system as the renix era ones. it has nothing specific to a renix set up.

Oh well. Guess I give up on the dream, like I gave up on air conditioning a non ac jeep. looking at some of the parts required I only see some of them available. The parts I have I'll just save. It'd be better to find a donor jeep of the right year even then it might be a pain to retrofit.

This reminds me: my 1988 came with (non-functioning) cruise control, and eventually I got tired of looking at the servo canister and removed it during some other project. If I'm remembering correctly, it had one or two vacuum lines connected to it, and I don't recall if I blocked off wherever they connected. I noticed my vac was a little low the other day (around 15), and thought of this. Does anyone have a diagram or photo of where they originally connected, so I can check?

Not sure in renix the 84-86 XJ w/2.8 v6 had a specific vacuum port in the intake, be three or four vacuum lines fed off this port, one or two go to the servo. I've seen the vacuum harness in the diagrams but not sure how it all connect in real life.

i may just find your jeep and steal the cruise out of it.

I was thinking it was time to CRUISE :laugh3: to Canada anyway, LOL.

On my 90 XJ with cruise...all the vac lines were good. All electric was good. Switch was good. Cable from the servo to the throttle linkage was broken. Replaced cable, cruise fixed. Check the cable from the servo. HTH

Well, I don't know if I'd go yanking on it, but if you follow it down from the servo to down by the throttle body/intake manifold, you should be able to see if its' attached or just hanging there. My plastic piece that attached to the TB was broken. The cable was fine up to there, it wasn't broken inside the sheath.

Back