• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 grand cherokee engine in a 2000 XJ?

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a bad valve -- need to pull the head and replace with something not prone to cracking -- 225,000 miles

In my search I've come across a 98 grand cherokee engine with 27K miles on it for cheap -- jeep is crashed/totalled

What would it take to fit this 98 engine into my 2000 XJ with cali emissions

I still would need this to pass state inspection/emission testing

Is this even a realistic thought?

I don't think the engine will bolt in. I seem to remember an issue with the motor mounts being different as well as some of the other bracketry on the engine. But ask for some pics, it could be possible.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

XJ Cherokee/ZJ Grand Cherokee blocks and 1999+ WJ / 2000+ TJ blocks do not interchange without extensive modifications.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent significant design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN blocks from a 1999-04 WJ and 2000-06 Wrangler blocks are not interchangeable with any XJ/ZJ engine block (or 1997-99 TJ). The reason why is that the motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)

So a 98 grand is a ZJ -- ZJ and XJ blocks interchange -- I've seen this on a few threads after I posted

It also seems like I can use the ZJ Head with some sort of adapter plate

I'm going to check on this motor now -- I think I'm going to do this

Supposedly I can go see the engine, run the engine before it gets pulled

bought the motor today -- 98 grand cherokee 27,000 original miles -- $350

Went and saw it today -- heard it run -- sure looks like 27,000 original well kept miles until the crash

Getting pulled and I'll pick it up saturday

Can anyone tell me about this adapter plate used for mating the 2000 intake and exhaust manifolds to the 98 head

I would like to just use the head on the grand and not swap over to a 0331 casting

I'll fabricate the mounts for the coil rail

It should bolt up. Or swap the 01 throttle body in. As far as the coils go, look up the viper coil pack mod in the performance side of the forum.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Any progress on this '98 to '01 engine swap? I've done the Viper Coil pack and plug wire mod to my '01 and I've been extremely happy (knock on wood) in the past couple of years since the mod. Changing or checking plugs is a snap now and I just like the looks of the plug wires.. :)

Any progress on this '98 to '01 engine swap? I've done the Viper Coil pack and plug wire mod to my '01 and I've been extremely happy (knock on wood) in the past couple of years since the mod. Changing or checking plugs is a snap now and I just like the looks of the plug wires.. :)

All done -- everything went smooth

I chose to use the adapter plate and the gasket sandwich to mate the 7120 head to the 0331 exhaust manifold

I also bought the viper coil -- Haven't mounted it yet but thats coming very soon -- for now I have the coil rail just sitting on the plugs

I haven't driven it much, a project, something to play with -- I purchased the jeep from a friend who rebuilds and sells cars -- The town was getting on him for having too many junks -- The XJ was sitting back in his lot -- He knew I wanted it so sold it to me for $200 as is -- the only rust/rot is under the battery -- too clean to let it go to scrap

Anyway, as I was doing the engine swap I upgraded the alternator to 160 amp, I changed all the freeze out plugs, resealed the engine, everything but the head gasket -- figured there was no reason to pull the head on an engine with 29,000 miles on it

I just finished a trans cooler, fixed the power windows and locks -- broken wires in the door jamb

I'll be moving to suspension and brakes once I install the coil and rebuild the battery mount -- Plan for an overland/weekender type build in the woods and trails of NH/VT

Back