• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

project xj

PEAFMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I realize that it isn't very fun taking your dd on the trails and then hearing a clunk, rattle, rattle, rattle like I did this weekend w/ my xj. I decided that I would get myself a dedicated trail rig at the auctions I go to for next to nothing and then have fun trashing it.
I'm looking to get a 1988-1990 xj in the next few weeks. First order of buisness will be to strip out the interior. I'd like to put 33's poss 35's on and I'm thinking about Rusty's 6.5" lift. I will also put some under body protection so I don't tear everything up. I'm greatly looking forward to introducing my xj to the sawzall.
I have never had a project Jeep before so I look forward to the knowledge that will come from doing the mods along w/ the help of my friends. I have mechanic friends that are building me a roll cage w/ their pipe bender and will be helping me along the way.
All that being said I now need your help. Where should I begin? Does anybody have recommendations for the steps I should take and what order?
I know it will be a long road and I can tell you that I'm looking forward to it.

I DIGRESS, PLEASE HELP ME, SORRY FOR MAKING YOU READ THAT LONG SPEECH. TO ALL THOSE THAT REPLY YOU WILL BE GRANTED LONGEVITY AND FRUITFULNESS OF YOUR LOINS.

Forgot to add any advice on what products I should by along the way or any interesting ideas let me know. I'll keep pictures posted as I go to let yall know how its coming along.

whats your budget to start with??? honestly look at some other threads first get some ideas then post them looking for some advice on your ideas. I just started my project this summer and i went with rock krawlers 4.5" long arm lift and couldnt be happer. Do a couple of searches.

Oh yea start small and build your way up, that is if you dont have much trail time. Start with 33's at the most and build your rig so you can easily go up.

while wheeling on sunday we ran across a guy who said he just had his tranny and engine rebuilt and he rolled the jeep. so needless to say my buddies and i got together and bouth the xj for 250 bucks, and cuz the top off. plans include roll cage, 304 to the NP435 to the dana 20(gonna change that maybe), hp44 front, D60 rear, 4 link front and rear, and if we can we want to go with coilovers for the rear. thats where we want to start, and thats a lot of work.

I"m about in the same boat you are, picked up a running, driving Xj for $300 and started building. Already got the interior ripped out and most all the front suspension components ripped out. Puttin on a 6.5" RC Kit on presently with a set of 34x10.50's swamper LTB's. Still looking for a replacement rear axle to ditch that M35 and and SYE Kit/driveshaft eventually. long list of other plans, hopefully including mostly used parts as this is definatly not going to be a pretty xj, just a functional one. once i get comfortable wheelin it, i'll be building a set of longarms and 3 or 4 linking the rear, stretching the wheel-base, ect... Just remember you don't have to have the most extreme kit when you start, wheel it small first, and as you get better driving/wheeling the xj then start building it to better suite your needs. nothin worse than some rich kid with daddy's money spinding $2500 on a rubicon long arm kit and not knowing how to use it properly...

Take a look at full-traction 6in long arm, just took mine out for the first time on saturday night and loved it. I used it for a like slow wheeling and then some high speed stuff in whoops and in the washes in octollio. Fox 2.0 all the way around. Great kit.

I would look more into Rubicon Express. They make a great product, yes you will pay a little more to start but if you use the Rusty's kit you'll be doing it all over when you realize what crap it is and then you'll really be into some money.

R.E. makes all different size kits from short to long arm, ranging from leveling kits all the way up to their 7.5" kits. Go with R.E. you'll be much happier. Just my .02

my borther has the the rusty's 6.5" kit and hates it. he's got so much sag in the rear he had to remove his front coil overs (2") just to make the thing sit level and now he's buying blocks for the back cuz the springs have sagged even more.
ide say defanently go with a long arm kit. in my opinion it putes less stress on the joints. but ive heard ppl say it doesnt matter.

Don't waste your time go with the Full-Traction 6" long arm kit. I have had 2 RE lifts and I'm lookin to get away from them, I've broke more damn brackets and just started to uncoil a coil spring on my ZJ and that was an expensive kit. The Full-Traction kit blows it away. About the only things I'll use from RE are the trac-bars and flex-joints so i can make my own control arms.

I was leaning toward the Rusty's lift b/c of the price but I do like the RE lifts.......I found a good off roading shop not too far away that gave me some good advice and hooked me up w/ some other local jeep owners........I have a friend that would love to test his sawzall skills and cut the top off of my xj and insert a roll cage.....Is that possible? I'm searching for posts about soft top xj's and I'm unable to find anything? Anybody have any pictures? A step by step guide link would really help me to see what it would look like? Oh, and How much would it cost?

go with the rustys 4.5", 33's, trimming, lockers front and rear, skids, and tow points front and back. wheel the piss out of it. you will be amazed at where it will take you.

Back