• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel alignment

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
I put on my new Grant steering wheel put last night, and it looks way better than the tired old stock unit but it's going to take a little getting used to. I'm not sure if my steering linkage needs adjusted or I need an alignment or what. The old wheel was the same way, but when I'm driving straight down the road the wheel has to be turned to the left quite a bit. It's not pulling or anything, I mean I can let go of the wheel while I'm driving and it stays straight. I thought I could adjust the wheel, but there is only one way it can be installed on the hub (due to the horn button stalk that sticks up through the adapter) so basically I can't just turn the wheel a little and tighten the nut back down. Any ideas?

ok this is what you do. go underneath your jeep and there is a bar that is conected to the steering box. this bar is adujustable which when adjusted only moves the steering wheel it does not take aligment out. so on the bar you will see a sleeve that is threaded and the bar that comes from the steering box and a bar that is coming from the lower linkage of the steering are box screwed into this sleeve all you have to do is lossen up the two bolts that keeps it tight and turn this sleeve either clockwise or counterclockwise. what i suggest b/c this is what i did get on a road that is long and straight without alot of traffic and adjust alittle at a time to see first what way you have to turn the sleeve and then to slowly get it perfect so that you are driving straight and the wheel is straight. any problems just ask

Jeep839 said:
ok this is what you do. go underneath your jeep and there is a bar that is conected to the steering box. this bar is adujustable which when adjusted only moves the steering wheel it does not take aligment out. so on the bar you will see a sleeve that is threaded and the bar that comes from the steering box and a bar that is coming from the lower linkage of the steering are box screwed into this sleeve all you have to do is lossen up the two bolts that keeps it tight and turn this sleeve either clockwise or counterclockwise. what i suggest b/c this is what i did get on a road that is long and straight without alot of traffic and adjust alittle at a time to see first what way you have to turn the sleeve and then to slowly get it perfect so that you are driving straight and the wheel is straight. any problems just ask

draglink

Jeep839 said:

Have the same problem with my steering wheel. Just find it annoying. Alignment seems to be fine. Could you possibly explain [perferably with pictures] about how to do this? I'm a newbie at this and not sure exactly what all these parts look like and where they're located exactly. Would greatly appreciate!
thx

Back