• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron rock offroad lift handling

krawlingxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 5.5 inch lift and when im driving if feels like it jars or moves side to side on bumps is this normal or is somthing wrong? everything is tight and it has been aligned.

It's probably the caster adjuster folding in half.

:beatingdeadhorse:

Anyways, what he said.

LOL^

What control arm setup do you have?

Is it the steering wheel jerking? It could be an improper caster setting allowing for the wheels to dart around.

I do not want an iro bash fest. we have enough of those. i do have a pitman arm drop the big one and the drag link is at less of an angle then the trackbar is.

guys... bump steer is unavoidable on a solid axle, and I'd say your caster adjustment has more to do with bump steer than the angle relationship of your trackbar and draglink. A drop pitman is necessary to preserve the TRE, that's about it, I wouldn't suggest an OEM one at that height.

DeftwillP said:
It's probably the caster adjuster folding in half

Unless you have experienced this yourself and can comment about circumstances of the incident; get off the band-wagon and stop propagating rumors...

Jesus H,
Get your sarcasm meters checked people. Didn't the beatingdeadhorse thing make it clear I was joking?

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

[QUOTE =s14unimog;245312245 guys... bump steer is unavoidable on a solid axle, and I'd say your caster adjustment has more to do with bump steer than the angle relationship of your trackbar and draglink. A drop pitman is necessary to preserve the TRE, that's about it, I wouldn't suggest an OEM one at that height QUOTE]

Castor won't cause bump steer, it will cause wondering and a loose feel. With the drop arm his angles are all off so when he hits a bump the suspension compresses in a different ark in relationship to the drag link and track bar causing the easiest thing to give, the steering wheel.

Edit: Dang it messed the quote thing up!

Jesus H, Get your sarcasm meters checked people. Didn't the beatingdeadhorse thing make it clear I was joking?

^your image didn't come through, that's why. I'm just fresh out of that IRO bash thread and I can see someone stumbling across this thread in the future and misunderstanding your sarcasm.

Castor won't cause bump steer, it will cause wondering and a loose feel. With the drop arm his angles are all off so when he hits a bump the suspension compresses in a different ark in relationship to the drag link and track bar causing the easiest thing to give, the steering wheel.
Edit: (fixed it)

bump steer doesn't mean the steering wheel turns from a bump. Bump steer is a direction change caused by the change in the contact patch of the tire and angle of contact; or so I thought? I do see what you are saying about the angles though, if the axle is allowed to move in a different arch then the axles movement won't move the spindles the same. At some point you have to drop the pitman b/c you'll trash TRE's if you exceed their range.

Jesus H,
Get your sarcasm meters checked people. Didn't the beatingdeadhorse thing make it clear I was joking?

I recognized it. :cheers:

It could be both the caster, and the drag link.

I don't think bumpsteer is inevitable, mine has pretty bad caster (because the front driveline was vibing) but it's doesn't have a bad feel over bumps.

put the stock pitman arm back on. I have 5.5 coils with v8 grand cherokee steering and have plenty of movement in my TRE before its maxed out. Having your angles off will cause bumpsteer, which is exactly what your experiencing. It can also induce death wobble.

X2 on the pitman arm. I am also running about 5.5" and pulled the drop pitman arm off my 01 ASAP (the po put it on). My bump steer went right away. I'm also at a crappy castor angle which only seems to effect my "return to center" feeling.

guys... bump steer is unavoidable on a solid axle,
:huh:

What causes bump steer has already been addressed.

The drag-link and track-bar must be the same length and sit at the same angle. If there is any difference between the two, bump steer will occur.

This is why Jeeps originally came with steering stabilizers. There was no way to package a track bar, that was the same length as the drag link, under the 4.0 at stock height.
A properly built steering setup will need no stabilizer, and there will be zero bump steer.

guys... bump steer is unavoidable on a solid axle
Please, please, please, and I mean this in the nicest way possible...

SPOBI!
(In this an other threads recently)

As it has already been corrected, bump steer can and is eliminated with a proper setup.

:huh:

What causes bump steer has already been addressed.

The drag-link and track-bar must be the same length and sit at the same angle. If there is any difference between the two, bump steer will occur.

This is why Jeeps originally came with steering stabilizers. There was no way to package a track bar, that was the same length as the drag link, under the 4.0 at stock height.
A properly built steering setup will need no stabilizer, and there will be zero bump steer.

Aww man...this started off so promising.

The stabilizer has *nothing* to do with correcting bumpsteer. It's a damper to help absorb oscillations in the system and also help deal with 'peak' loads in the steering. A properly-built aftermarket system will usually not need one because the components are rigid enough to avoid those oscillations in the first place.

And x2 on what RCman posted - to say bumpsteer is unavoidable on a solid axle is a very ignorant statement.

guys... bump steer is unavoidable on a solid axle, and I'd say your caster adjustment has more to do with bump steer than the angle relationship of your trackbar and draglink. A drop pitman is necessary to preserve the TRE, that's about it, I wouldn't suggest an OEM one at that height.

Holy misinformation batman. You need to look at how suspension dynamics work. Please refrain from posting until you actually know what you're talking about.

Back