• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did a recon of 2N49 yesterday 3,24,2018

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
I was bored so I decided to run up in the MJ to see what if any damage the recent rain and wind had done.

Of course there are always new and exiting goodies to be found. It was just a little heavy for me to get into the back of the truck.

bBjFr5Sh.jpg

There was more rain damage than I had anticipated. This area that we have kept taped off had encroached on the trail an additional two feet. Bottom right of the image:

DXv4DVGh.jpg

It has also encroached into the trail at the top end/ Previously this had not been much of a problem with the hazard.

tHnf1tvh.jpg

On the opposite side of the trail someone has dumped a load of palm fronds:

AHnVpMjh.jpg

Many of the rutted or washed out areas that are on the first mile or so of the trail were either slightly deeper or not severely affected.

v1Pg1ath.jpg

I did run across a new mud flow that had covered the entire width of the trail with 2" - 3" of mud. It's kinda hard to see in the pic, but its there.

U0SiAYrh.jpg

Up and around the corner I found where it came from. This rut running up the right side of the road used to be about 1/3 the size. At the top of the photo you can see where it has crossed the trail; this is new.

XrMQ0G1h.jpg

It's ~ 4' deep and 5 or so feet wide.

WX4mr2jh.jpg

The edges are pretty soft and the gravity is strong.

WrPPrGkh.jpg

6DFbtVdh.jpg

After about 15 minutes of digging and jack work a 4Runner came up behind me. It took 4 of 5 attempts but he finally got me pulled back and out of my stupidity.

4MYy1tDh.jpg

So all in all I only made it about a mile or so before having to call it quits. I suppose I should have taken the XJ. Trail conditions are a little bit beyond the realm of a stock rig for the moment. I figure that in a week or two the rut will be caved in enough to change that.

Thinking about a workday for April 7th and/or the 8th.

Last edited:
Looks like a bunch of work.

And I bet there are trees further up that would appreciate the attention of an axe.

Lucky for me The Varmints have me unavailable for another month.

Wow, that trail's a hot mess now... hopefully Mamma Nature will cut us some slack for a bit.

My wrist is taking its own sweet achy time to heal. I won't be wrenching, pulling, yanking, lifting or jerking for quite a while yet :rattle::tears: :cry:. My surgeon is about to :twak: me anyway, just for how much I already overdo it.

I probably won't even drive my XJ to SoCalFest, since I can't imagine hanging onto a twitchy steering wheel on the road, much less offroad :(:bawl::tear:.

Back