• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-Start Codes P1491 & P0443

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
My 1996 XJ SE 2WD AW4 stopped working last week. Since I had already been having problems with the NSS i firgured it just got so gunked up that it stopped working. So I tried to clean it out and in the process broke it. I then got a brand NEW one. I just installed it today and it didn't start, but a check engine light came on.

The first code was P1491 however the scanner wouldn't give me a definition of the code. When I looked under crysler it said "Radiator Fan Ctrl Relay Circ"

The second code was P0443: "EVAP Emission Control System Purge Valve C Fault"

Which one is more likly to cause the no start. I need to get the XJ up and running asap cuz it's my DD and it's sitting in a parkinglot.(I don't want it to get towed). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Did it turn over and not start, or nothing when you turned the key?

Not having any experience with those codes, my gut tells me neither of them would give a no start condition. Perhaps a bad fuse somewhere? (like injectors or the like?) or NSS wiring?
Or the fuse for the 'fan ctrl relay ckt' and/or fuse for the EVAP system Purge valve C

Last edited:
Neither one will cause a no start. The computer has no idea you're turning the key so a missing rpm signal (CPS) won't set a code. Most DTCs are based on the engine already running and then exhibiting poor performance.

Nothing, all i hear is the fuel pump turning on when i turn the key. I figured that was case,with niether one causing it.

The battry was replaced about a month ago. I turned the jeep off and put it into nuetral while going down a BIG hill. then coasted about 3 miles tried to start her up again and nothing so i glided into the nearest parking lot.

Sounds like NSS...again.... Do a search. This came up recently. There MAY be a way to jump the connector; someone said it would work, someone else said it wouldn't.

but I just put a brand spankin new one in...........

Looks to be, I'll take a pic tomorrow morning for ya. However the bypass I tried while waiting for the new NSS didn't work either, which leads me to belive that it's something besides the NSS.

Any final word on this? Mine starts and drives ok, but is throwing these same two codes. I need to smog this thing by 7/31. Today's 7/22. Help!! :D

Back