• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Bumper w/Tow Hitch or Tomken Rear Bumper?

northernlightsfive

NAXJA Forum User
I have a white 1999 Classic, auto/4.0. I was rear-ended last week with damage to the passenger end cap and bumper (driver endcap was spared). I am debating whether to stay with an OEM bumper/endcap and buy an aftermarket hitch or to get a Tomken rear bumper w/hitch (built in) and factory end cap. The only major towing will be in the next few months, will be towing a 68 Beetle from North Carolina to Florida (12hr trip). I like the way the Tomken bumper fits with the factory endcaps (trying to keep the stock look). Any opinions if you had to choose between the two?

I have yet to examine the Tomken bumper up close, but from the pictures I've seen it seems to sit too flush against the back for my taste. I'd want a bumper that sticks out more for better protection in a crash. Just my 2 cents.

thooogy, makes a good point. In a crash, the Tomken isn't going to protect you very well, a bumper that sticks out more would be better. As far as I know, there are no bumpers with the 2" built into them that are rated for towing. I think the 2" built into it is for the purpose of using it as a towpoint.

use the search function and search rigidco bumper. expensive, but WELL worth the money. I have a Tomken bumper with rec. and don't feel comfortable towing my snowmobiles with it. It has no real useful bracing for the hitch.

look into the rigidco rear bumper.. i know with its mounting system it would easily be able to handle towing

I've had both the stock reciever and Tomken with built in hitch... The Tomken is not worth the money IMO... I would recommend a factory reciever over a Tomken, but there are better options out there like RigidCo.

-Will

Back