• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog lights

JeffW

NAXJA Forum User
I have fog lights that appear to be factory in the right location, loomed wire...

I have no switch inside for them. XJ is a 2001.

When I flash the brights on the fog lights go out. The fog lights are always on with the headlights.

I don't see anything on my build sheet that says I have fog lights but I'm not sure if it lists direct as fog lights?

Anyone else have something like this? I thought all of them were on a switch in the center panel.

Possibly, aftermarket or dealer install. In most states, by law require fogs to be off with high beams.

Yeah that is a new one on me.
I put fog lights in my '00 XJ that did not come with them.
They are wired like aftermarket ones but look stock up front and in the passenger compartment cause I used a factory switch and a 3 slot switch bezel.
Thinking that the Jeep did not come with them and the PO figured out a way to hook them right up to the headlight switch and go off with the high beams.
Ones from the factory would go off when you turn on the high beams.
Thinking you are just going to have to follow the wiring and see what you see.

My '88 came with factory fog lights. Yes, I have a switch on the panel.

However, the fogs only light on low beam as Ralph77 says. So I flash the highs or switch to the highs the fogs go out.

My 1972 914 has same function for the fog lights. Fog lights off when high beam is on. That's how factory did it back in Germany.

Now driving lights are the opposite, on with high beam, off with low beam.

One of my XJ's is a 1997 Up Country that came with factory fog lights. At some point the factory fog light switch was bypassed so they operate in the behavior you describe - on with low beams & go off with high beams. There is a relay under the hood that controls this behavior. The switch was probably bypassed because they were known to go bad.

Thinking about it that is kind of a cool idea.
Do they come on with just the parking lights?
Or do the headlights have to be on?
I have this little theory.
I see a lot of '97 and up XJ's with rusted out factory fogs.
I think some of that is lack use. Condensation and whatnot building up in there.
So I run mine, especially after it rains, in the hope that the heat from the bulb will dry up any condensation in there.
Maybe they won't rust out as quick. LOL.

My '88 doesn't. The fogs are tied into the beam select switch, low beam.

So from the low beam side, it goes to the fog switch, then to the relay.

You could easily switch the fog feed to the marker lights.

Thinking about it that is kind of a cool idea.
Do they come on with just the parking lights?
Or do the headlights have to be on?
I have this little theory.
I see a lot of '97 and up XJ's with rusted out factory fogs.
I think some of that is lack use. Condensation and whatnot building up in there.
So I run mine, especially after it rains, in the hope that the heat from the bulb will dry up any condensation in there.
Maybe they won't rust out as quick. LOL.

My 914 fogs have their own switch, but either the parking lamps or low beams must also be on, regardless if fog lamp switch is on, for the fog lamps to illuminate.

High beam on, or parking lamps off AND low beam off kills the fogs.

An interesting thing on my 914 is if parking lamps are turned on, first on detent in switch, the parking lights go on, headlamps stay retracted. pull switch to second on detent, and headlamps raise and turn on, then move switch to first on detent parking lights are on and headlamps although no longer illuminating, stay raised. Headlights lower only when switch is in off position. weird german engineering.

Funny thing is, before the XJ, I worked on making my ride lower, stiffer, low profile tires etc.. handled like on rails when on a paved road. Had only a few inches clearance. Now with the XJ it is bigger tires, and lift, handling be darned for the paved road!

the added plus with the XJ is I dont need to jack it up to change the oil, although I do need to stand on top of the tire to reach the filter. I had to lift the 914 to adjust the valves even. Now my floor jack is nearly fully extended before starting lift of the XJ, where as on the 914, fully contracted it barely made it under any jack point.

I digress.

for rusting factory fogs, I have seen that at the wrecker, have not found not rusted ones yet, Suggest if yours is not rusted out yet, get the housing bead blasted or such and then coat with some good epoxy type paint inside and out. white on the inside, or better still, after paint is fully cured, line the reflector with aluminum foil ducting tape. this tape also works great to line tarnished tail lamp reflectors. some factory reflectors are simply paint, and dont hold up well, the tape trick was done on my XJ tail lamps, which were not very reflective, the improvement was amazing.
anyways with clean metal painted with good paint you should be set for another 20 plus years of fog lights. also consider sealing them well after painting, a bead of silicone rubber, or simply add a drain hole, but keep in mind drain holes can let in water and dirt, so you may end up taking them apart frequent like for cleaning. sealing them might be best option once painted drain holes can let in lb busting cold water if you drive thru high water, in which case turn the lamps off and allow to cool, the thermal shock hot to cold from a flooded housing can break the bulb. little one way rubber valves can in installed for drains. They make rubber valve like this for lamps housings . shine on!

I have a 96 Country that came with factory fogs. New ones can be bought for $45-50 off the net if you search. I went ahead and bought a pair. The set that was on I had already rebuilt and repainted a few times over the years. I now keep them as spares. When ever I get to the JY and see a set, I evaluate their condition and if they look like they might be salvageable, at least for parts I go ahead and get them. Consequently I have a small cache of spare parts.

Lights say made in Australia so they must be aftermarket. Very hard to follow the wires, it's kinda cramped up there but I see but connectors now. I guess they wired them into the low beams. One of the housings has water in it so I have to fix or remove it to pass inspection.

I generally hate fog lights on-road. Most cars don't have them aimed properly and have them aimed like driving lights. Too many people treat them like extra headlights and leave them on all the time. They don't throw any light where you really need it during clear conditions, and just annoy oncoming traffic. Off-road slow speed at night, I will often use just the fogs though because they light up close and to the sides.

Back