• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry question

02809bristol

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a 2000 cherokee sport w/ No keyless entry remotes. I was replacing my dome light and noticed a circuit board in light housing. I was told it has something to do with remote entry
My question
How can I get the keyless system to operate again ? Without spending a ton of $$$$$$$

I have seen the replacement remote fobs on amazon for not too much. I don't know what is involved with pairing them with the existing system. I've never read the full product description, though. I'd start there if I were me.

1997-2001 XJ remote keyless entry fobs require Dealership programming. If you find a set of fobs and the keyless entry module they are programmed to, they will plug and play.

Aftermarket key-less entry is less expensive.

Last edited:
Way old post but thought I'd chime in for future searchers...

Had a 1997 XJ and bought an OEM FOB on eBay which I was able to mate with the car myself following this https://www.justanswer.com/jeep/29jyj-2000-jeep-cherokee-sport-lost-remote-key-fob-repalce.html

Tried to do the same thing with my 1999 XJ and no luck. Not sure the difference between the 2 model years but the 1999 does not have the little clear dome thing on on the headliner.

I suppose I'll proceed to get raped by the dealer to get it programmed or buy the board/FOB combo.

Install an aftermarket keyless entry. You can even use the same spot.
The remote alone will cost you more than that, and you'd still have to pay a dealer to program it.

My 1997 XJ did not come with the fobs, instead it had been wired with a complicated alarm system that controlled the door locks, flashed the lights, honed the horn and cut the ignition.
Unfortunately it too came without the fobs.
The old alarm was removed and this was installed four years ago, to control the door locks. It works fine and was simpler and cheaper than finding, buying and having a pair of Factory fobs reprogramed.
https://www.amazon.com/Proline-REC4...e+REC43T+&qid=1582493359&s=electronics&sr=1-1

When I bought my 2001 it only came with keys and not fob. I bought a fob on ebay but had to go to the dealer to have it programmed. Luckily, I knew the service manager and he got one of his mechanics to program it for me and I tipped him $25. It worked well for 3 years but now it only unlocks the doors and does not lock them.

Not sure if it is the fob or the car but I'm thinking of getting a new fob and getting it programmed again. Too bad the service manager is not there any more so I'll see how much it costs to get it programmed.

Beat thing to do is get an aftermarket alarm and disconnect the RKE in the dome light. The RKE in my dome light was sending bad signals to my CPU causing the no bus message on my gauge clusters and door locks went crazy locking and unlocking on on there own.

Back