• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans mount plate (?) bolts

Busyedxj

NAXJA Forum User
How’s it going guys!
First of all, the names supposed to be “bustedxj” but I mistyped. Sent the moderators a message and we will see if I get it fixed 🤷🏽*♀️.
Anyways new to this forum and jeeps but not new to forums or cars in general.

What brings me here today is that my 1993 Cherokee sucks. There’s stuff missing, stuff unplugged and unbolted. I’ve done a lot of work to her but she has a lot more to go. My current dilemma: there’s a plate that bolts between the trans and trans mount. That plate is missing the 2-3 bolts that bolt to the trans, so the trans is kinda just hanging out on the crossmember free-floating and this has busted up lots of things, including the 4x4 shift linkage. So 1. Does anyone know these bolt sizes/where I can get them from? And 2. Does anyone know where I can get just the lever arm that bolts to the transfer case?
Pics for reference:
Just kidding I’m on a cell phone. Let me hop on a computer. Pics to follow.

BqbCrlRDLYA

Yeah a distant relative was thinking m10-1.5 as well, bolts are cheap so I’ll get some grade 8 and see if it works. Thanks guys! And that diagram is super helpful too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I tried m10-1.5 and m10-1.25 and they are very close but after threading 4 or so turns they both lock up. I’ve sprayed the hole with wd40 to get gunk out so it’s not just excessively dirty I don’t think. Any other ideas?

Try using a re-threader to clean out/reshape the threads. A re-threader is different than a tap in that it does not cut metal. The threads probably go into aluminum that is somewhat galled up at this point so go easy.

Try using a re-threader to clean out/reshape the threads. A re-threader is different than a tap in that it does not cut metal. The threads probably go into aluminum that is somewhat galled up at this point so go easy.

Yeah, I suspect the threads are damaged if the old bolts worked themselves out, or might even have broken off stubs still in there. Looks like the tranny got rebuilt at some point so perhaps the PO neglected to reinstall the bolts? I'd inspect the motor mounts as well, btw.

It's vaguely possible the bolts into the trans are 7/16" thread, but I'd be surprised since it's a japanese tranny. (I think the nuts on the crossmember are 7/16" though?)

It was 7/16 for some reason! They threaded in fine, no issues and no broken studs or anything. I put lock washers on them. & also yeah I just installed some brown dog mounts. Sooooo much better! Thanks for the help guys, glad it was as simple as finding the right size instead of re-tapping and all that.

Back