• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone seen a curved needle for a grease gun?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to find one that will allow me to grease my OX joints in the D30 shafts down the road without having to take them out of hte jeep. ANyone seen such a thing?

Curved? No. But, I've seen (and bought) a couple "needle" type adapters - one is just like a large hypodermic, which is used for greasing booted splines and such, and one that is like a fat needle (about 1/4") with a "cupped" end that will sit overtop a zerk in a recessed area. This works nicely for hitting the joints at the front wheels, and will also work for the "cupped" zerks often found on the double Cardan on the front driveshaft.

I think I paid about $5 each.

5-90

5-90 said:
Curved? No. But, I've seen (and bought) a couple "needle" type adapters - one is just like a large hypodermic, which is used for greasing booted splines and such, and one that is like a fat needle (about 1/4") with a "cupped" end that will sit overtop a zerk in a recessed area. This works nicely for hitting the joints at the front wheels, and will also work for the "cupped" zerks often found on the double Cardan on the front driveshaft.

I think I paid about $5 each.

5-90

Well this won't work for me because the positionng of the zerks: they are in the main part of the joint body in the middle of the + (hard to describe). Anyways to grease the joints with the axle out I had to bend the stub on the joint to reach the zerk, now with the shaft in the jeep there are other components in the way and do not allow for straight access (mainly hub) but if I had a curved needle I could get to it.

heat is your friend get that puppy hot and bend. you could prob use your stove if you don't have a better way. just clean the grease out so you don't make an unwanted mess

bajacalal said:
Don't just grab each end and bend. Use a pipe or something to bend it over, maybe tap it gently.
I did that: I had a piece of 1/2" pipe that was going to give me close to the curve i wanted: I barely put any leverage on it and it snapped. I think that now I'm going to be doing that witha torch in hand and see what happens. Also I might look for a differnt brand needle, cause maybe this one was just too brittle.

What if you got a 4" needle fitting to start, feed some wire down into it before bending to hold the inner diameter shape, and use a little heat. :dunno: I've never tried it, but seems like it would work.

Urban Redneck said:
A bottle propane torch and a tubing bender for plumbing. The Home Depot has both for $40 total, IIRC.

HTH
I already have the torch, and I also have a brake line bender... I wonder if that would work...

Back