• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped transmission pan plug.

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
Idiot me was using an air ratchet to tighten the plug instead of by hand.

Just incase you do somthing stupid like this which I am fore warning you not to.
Here is my fix:
I went to a speed shop got the B&M transmission drain plug kit that comes with a bolt, nut washer and a smaller bolt that goes inside of the bigger one.
Cut off remaining "nut" piece on inside of pan. replaced filter and gasket.
drilled ½" hole as plug kit describes. followed rest of directions. cleaned off pan. reinstalled. works fine now.

Never again... But I got lucky and it was a easy $40 fix (filter,kit,gasket, ATF)
even though i needed to take it off and beat out the dents from rocks this was not the reason wy I wanted to pull the pan.
:bunny:

Saw this post and I did the same thing stripped the pan drain plug. Is there any way to get an over sized self tapper without having to drop the pan or am I stuck dropping the pan again since I just changed the filter and gasket I wish I didn't have to or do I risk getting metal pieces with a self tapper? I would assume so but I had to ask since I really don't want to have to drop the pan again but I will to save myself a ruined trans down the road form metal shavings in the fluid. If I do drop it again can I reuse the rubber gasket since it has only been in there for a week?

Back