• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Gate

GarageAlchemist

NAXJA Forum User
The lift gate on my 89 is stuck shut. When i push one the center button of the lock to open it like it normally would it doesn't feel like there is anything there, just slides in and out and doesn't open. Tried working with the key as well, to no avail.

Sounds like the lock mechanism is frozen up inside, it's probably stuck in the locked position. You should be able to pull the trim off the inside of the hatch and force the latch to open by either forcing the lock/unlock linkage to the unlocked position or pushing on a specific tab that will open the latch whether it's locked or not.

I haven't checked if the force-open tab exists on the hatch, but it exists on all four doors, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Yup, climb in back and take the trim panel off (2 screws through the carpet at the bottom corners and the christmas tree clips and hooke on a channel at the top) and then you can open it manually. Possible the clip the hold the rod failed or popped out.

Back